SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-07-06, 08:14 AM   #1
DanDare

Default My first pillion experience

Despite having ridden for quite a few years, albeit with a gap in between, I have never taken a pillion. That all ended last night. I decided to take the missus to Poole Quay last night as she is well into her bikes too. ( She made me get the SV )

Monday night we tested the water so to speak by a few miles round trip to her parents which gave her confidence in me and more importantly gave me confidence.

So we set off last night in the seering heat for a chip butty and drinks ( soft of course ) on the quay. Oh how different it all was.

The first obvious change is the weight and how much more throttle you need to give to go anywhere. Got used to it after a while. Braking was a little tricky. I found the weight shifted forward a lot despite using the rear brake equally. Is there any technique to braking with pillion. Also coming up to lights at low speeds it comes slightly unstable and require both feet down, slightly dragging at times.
Could this be me getting used to it.

My missus did complain of a numb right leg/foot from vibrations off the can. I put this down to the hanger rubber bungs not being the best design ever.

Although I was a bit panicky to begin with, I relaxed for the ride back which was a good experience for us both. She even encouraged me to pick the pace and overtake. She's ridden pillion loads of times before so knew what she was doing.

Anyone have any tips or tricks of the trade that they don't give you in training or is this down to an individual learning curve.

Cheers for listening.
DD
Old 19-07-06, 08:22 AM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Relax and try to ride smoothy. Be gentle with throttle input and braking input.

Leave more time to brake and brake more gradually. I find that its also better to short shift and let the torque pull the bike out of corners rather than winding on the throttle in lower gears. I still just tend to use the front brake. I'll bring the back brake in at low speed ( almost stopped ) like I would do normally as I find this helps settle the bike.

You cant get some material called "Triboseat" or something like that its a non slip cloth that stops your pillion sliding forward on braking.

Low speed control is a little more tricky, but TBH it just takes practice.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-06, 10:36 AM   #3
Davido

DON'T EVER BACK TO BLACK YOUR REAR SEAT EVER!

Made that mistake once, guy on the back slips around like a b*stard and nearly slider off the back when accelerating hard.

Tell your pillion to relax and invest in some love handles. Having their arms around you makes cornering very tricky and uncomfortable. Also, get an intercom, however much fun it is having someone to talk to, shouting your **** off down the motorway quickly detracts from it.
Old 19-07-06, 10:47 AM   #4
thor

For general riding, being smooth is the key. Just take things easier. By far the most important issue the increased braking distance. Otherwise, get a good understanding with your pillion and that will help a lot. I have a code with my missus. She taps my leg when ready to go and to say she is ok, and pulls at my jacket three times if she needs me to pull over.

Finally, all pillions must be educated that low speed means NO FIDGETING! When stopped, fine, when going at decent speed, fine. Low speed manouvers, don't move!
Old 19-07-06, 11:12 AM   #5
Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor
Finally, all pillions must be educated that low speed means NO FIDGETING! When stopped, fine, when going at decent speed, fine. Low speed manouvers, don't move!
I found that out too. Wife is new to pilion riding so tends to hang on for grim death when moving on the open road and then squirms about all over the shop when we slow down

We had a chat
Old 20-07-06, 08:36 AM   #6
skidmarx

It really helps If your pillion holds on to you around your waist, and when braking puts her ( his?) hands onto the tank to brace. That way you can up the braking power without fear of pushed forward violently.
The pillion pegs are made from case hardened cheese as well so watch the pivot holes for elongation. I think this is more of a problem if the mounting technique is a bit 'HEY HO SILVER'.
Def up the rear preload as wheelies are very easy with a pillion, esp if she/he is wearing a heavy rucksack!
Old 20-07-06, 09:36 AM   #7
Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel
You cant get some material called "Triboseat" or something like that its a non slip cloth that stops your pillion sliding forward on braking.
its great falc had one on the SV and also has one on the SRAD it does help immensly with braking i actually stay put

as for getting your pillion to hang onto you - that personal choice

I prefer the grab rail, you could try love handles i think you can pick some up from Halfords quite reasonably
Old 20-07-06, 02:07 PM   #8
DanAbnormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarx
as wheelies are very easy with a pillion, esp if she/he is wearing a heavy rucksack!
I think my brother is still recovering from our little rideout. Ended up unintentionally wheelieing up a hill. Whoops.