SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 13-07-11, 07:41 PM   #1
johnmaciver32

Default Tyres

Hi to all the newbies, my 5 week old has been screaming on my shoulder for last 15mins, so mine's a pitcher of whisky please!!
Hi to everyone else too.

Now, for the first time in 12 years, i've worn out the back tyre way before the front, always had to buy sets at a time. So, i need to replace rear..
It's maxxis supermax touring on it since I got it last year.
Can I fit a different make rear, ie Avon etc, or even maxxis sports.bearing in mind its needing mot next week..
using my phone, so searching for thread with answer already, is a ball-ache.

sent using tapatalk
Old 15-07-11, 07:37 AM   #2
Quedos

Default Re: Tyres

I would stick with the same - but I'm a girlie!
Old 15-07-11, 01:16 PM   #3
TamSV
Mega Poster

I've mixed brands of tyres plenty of times with no problem at all (disclaimer: I ride like a granny most of the time). They've always been the same "type" of tyre though - e.g. sport touring.

I'd be a bit more reluctant to mix a sports tyre with a touring tyre for example. If it had to be done I think I'd prefer the grippy one on the front.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-11, 07:00 PM   #4
johnmaciver32

I think i'll bin the front and get a set of good sticky tyres. I don't do motorways, so my tyres rarely square off..the grip on these maxxis is awful. Takes ages to get heat in..even today I struggled and it was roasting and dry all the way to Oban and back chasing my mates 749r.

sent using tapatalk
Old 15-07-11, 08:26 PM   #5
Gabriel2k

Best to get matching, different tyres can have different profiles and wont mix properly.
Old 16-07-11, 04:45 PM   #6
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Personnally I don't see the need for track based 'sports' tyres on the road. Get yourself a good set of sport touring tyres. For you average rider in everyday conditions they will see you right. I've never mixed tyres myself and hopefully never have too.

Lets be honest are any of us on this forum above average?*

* I'm talking about bike riding here folks!!!

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-11, 04:53 PM   #7
johnmaciver32

on my last sv, i had avons and could get the pegs down easily...no chance with the maxxis crap..cant get anywhere near getting hero blobs down..last sv destroyed them..
i had 2 slides yesterday, not big ones, but enough to let me know i was on tyres limit..not a nice feeling..
I'm not into going super fast..just like corners and prefer not having to clench and hope i make it round!! super sticky tyres all the way for me!!
Old 16-07-11, 09:20 PM   #8
stuartyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmaciver32 View Post
for the first time in 12 years, i've worn out the back tyre way before the front
I'm confused. I've never worn out or ever known anyone to wear out a front before the rear. I go through 2-3 rears before I ever need to change the front. Unless I'm reading your post wrong?

I'm with Dean on the tyres - super sticky sports based tyres never get up to temperature on our cold Scottish roads. If you're not riding that fast, you'll never get them up to temperature to get the rubber sticky enough. Standard road tyres are great for our roads.
Old 16-07-11, 09:35 PM   #9
johnmaciver32

Had 4 sv's over 10 years and always had to replace the tyres at same time..probably the roads on Lewis chewing them up more, but fronts always wore at same rate..(lots if wheelies didn't help) hence the reason I've hit this snag..
These maxxis are rubbish...too hard..
By not going fast, I meant I don't pin it on straights etc so my tyres don't square off..that said, there isn't many straight roads on lewis, Harris and uists...
I'm just gonna get another set of avons and have fun again!
(No more wheelies tho)

sent using tapatalk
Old 16-07-11, 09:53 PM   #10
suicidesam

Always went for sport tourers for my bikes, even the 748 i had ended up on my usual choice of mitchelin road 2's. Only ever had 2 slides on them.. both were down to shoite on the road literally!
Bridgestones that were on the Zed were both totally shot by 3k miles, rear badly squared and front had no tread on the sides.. and i dont ride that hard. First time I've ever had to replace both at the same time.
So far done 1500 miles on the road 2's and not even a dent in them, and they get plenty heat in them on the commute to work