SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-06-06, 02:41 PM   #1
wyrdness

Default Yamaha air-bag

Whatever next? http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/y...bag-178217.php

And how soon until governments start mandating this sort of thing.
Old 04-06-06, 04:49 PM   #2
jonboy

It's a bit small for me, but I get the idea . Well who knows if it works? From what I've seen of air bag expansion on TV car programmes, they happen so fast and forcefully, that you're likely to lose you nads altogether by the look of that picture.

I honestly doubt we'll ever be forced to have bikes with airbags as the amount of variables involved is immense (particularly regarding placement) and the cost would make the purchase price impossibly high (plus I think they're unlikely to prove effective). What will likely happen is that over the next twenty five years bikes will simply be legislated against and phased out - so ride while you can!

Clothes and helmets with workable airbag solutions might be a different matter.

Old 04-06-06, 05:28 PM   #3
medwaysv

does anyone here remember when the conservatives were in power and some bloke called PETER BOTTOMLY was minister for transport
all i can say is "thank god that none of his proposed plans came in" cause if they did,none of the the bikes we ride around nowadays would look like they do now.
this guys main idea was the introduction of leg sheilds (c90-esq) for bikes amongst other ideas..not all of which i can unfortunatly remember,but im sure if anyone else remembers those days may be able to enlighten me/us
Old 04-06-06, 05:59 PM   #4
Stig

I could see that resembling an ejector seat if one were to be hanging off the seat going round a corner.
Old 04-06-06, 06:21 PM   #5
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by medwaysv
all i can say is "thank god that none of his proposed plans came in" cause if they did,none of the the bikes we ride around nowadays would look like they do now.
The legislative requirements for vehicles doesn't come from the UK government but, rather, comes from Europe. Thankfully, there is a European manufacturing base (Ducati & BMW spring principally to mind) so lobbying power is pretty good.

But airbags? WTF?
Old 04-06-06, 07:34 PM   #6
K

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Clothes and helmets with workable airbag solutions might be a different matter.

I now have images of crashed bikers bouncing down the road, possibly pursuing the driver who hit them and didn't stop, safely cucooned in a body airbag - rather like those things in The Prisoner.