SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-08-07, 10:04 PM   #1
Yellow

Unhappy My Bike Won't Start!

So heres the story, I have a 02 SV650. This is my first bike and naturally I have dropped it, luckily I haven't dropped it while actually moving. Anyways I dropped it a while ago and it wouldn't start, so I called my dad and he came to get and me, as soon as he tried it started right up. After that I had to wiggle the bars back and forth a couple times before it would start. I tried taking the switch on the handlebars off, and I tried moving all the relative wires to see if it would make a difference, nothing. So to get to the point, I dropped it again yesterday and now it wont start at all, I tried for about half an hour and I tried roll starting it a couple times, nothing works. I don't know if there is a kill switch that gets flicked when its on its side that might be stuck or something along those lines. Has anyone had a similar problem or does anyone have some ideas?

Please help I miss my bike already!
Old 01-09-07, 06:39 AM   #2
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Default Re: My Bike Won't Start!

Good morning.
Check the clutch switch, mounted on the clutch lever, make sure it hasn't been disturbed. They're only a Mickey Mouse affair, & are a little prone to playing up.
If your bike is an injection model it is fitted with a tip over sensor, this cuts off the fuel pump in the event of the bike falling over. These can be faulty, or stick once the bike has been dropped.
It is located under the right hand side panel in front of the battery, suspended in a little rubber boot. make sure it hasn't become dislodged, & check the connections. There should be an arrow on it somewhere, make sure you mount it with the arrow pointing upwards.
There is a resistance test you can do, with a multimeter set on k ohms check for continuity between the two outside terminals, you should have a resistance of 19.1-19.7k.
Failing that, you're going to have to get the bike to your dealer.

Cheers.
Old 01-09-07, 08:32 AM   #3
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow View Post
So heres the story, I have a 02 SV650.

Please help I miss my bike already!
so its a curvy. (with carbs not F.I)

right, most obvoisly check that the red kill switch on the right clip on has not been pressed,
then as spannerman says it could be th clutch switch, pull it off (bottom of clutch lever) and put a bit of wire joining the 2 female connecters
next
i would look at the sidestand switch, which can be bypassed as with the clutch

HTH
Old 01-09-07, 04:42 PM   #4
Yellow

Yeah its carbs not F.I and I checked the red kill switch, and the clutch lever sensor, I'll try the kick stand sensor. Would that matter if it was in neutral though? I got a volt meter so I'm going to start testing the wiring that could be involved, not sure how it would've gotten damaged from falling, but it's worth a shot.
Old 01-09-07, 08:31 PM   #5
Yellow

Got it! Turns out it was the clutch lever position sensor. Thanks for all your advice everyone.