SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Helmets Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 20-06-14, 05:24 PM   #11
ManMango

Default Re: Caberg Duke

I don't know if I am after big visibility, I am new to all this :P at the moment I own a £30 lid from Amazon 'Shox sniper' haha.

My budget started at £100 really and was looking at HJC TR1 then moved on to HJC IS-17 (both HJC's I would have been compromising some things on) then saw this Caberg one, flip up for me is just an added bonus so don't want to get this 'added bonus' if it will impede on the important stuff... Safety and visibility.
ManMango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-14, 10:40 PM   #12
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMango View Post
I am not particularly after a flip up lid but I first stumbled on the Duke when I saw it on Sharp rating as 5* so looked further in to it.

Am I really sacrificing visibility with getting a flip up? does a flip up mean I have a much bigger chin area and less view up/down and side/side?

I mean there is no point in having a 5* safety rating if its going to cause you to miss something in your blind spot and cause a crash!!!
My Caberg Justissimo GT looks alot bigger than this Duke and as I said before it does make lifesaver more difficult but I've been using it for years with no ill effect and it has not made me sloppy on lifesavers, it's just the trade off you make but if it helps I am definitely considering this Duke helmet myself and looking to find a local shop with stock so I can try it.

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-14, 09:49 AM   #13
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

I got a Duke in white last week.

Verdict - LOVE IT

The first thing I noticed was less visibility due to a smaller visor, but that is compensated as it is alot smaller than my Justissimo and I can now do a shoulder check with the Duke. That is not to say there is little visibility, there is definitely enough, it's just that the Justissimo was like an Imax screen.

It is so much quieter too. I do notice wind noise coming in when I slightly tilt my head to check mirrors, it comes in at the top corners where the black plastic is that the visor clips into but it's not a problem.

Overall, it's bloody good, good fit, I can now do a decent shoulder check, it's quiet and it draws more air through it than the justissimo.

The only thing that's missing is a gold label on the back that says you can use it on track. But it's £145 and a bloody good helmet.

Look right-> <-Look Left
Old 15-09-14, 09:35 PM   #14
ManMango

Oh yeah forgot to post on this. I did go for the duke in the end and I am very happy with it.

Amazingly light for a front flip. Very sturdy and high quality feel about it.

As I read in some reviews my chin can touch the inside of the helmet but its in no way uncomfortable. It will only ever touch no pressure at all. It does this so that it can tuck the chin right round and under. Giving you much less noise leaking in the bottom and a more aggressive look.

A friend who has purchased more helmets than myself had a look and said the pinlock (that comes with it) is very good compared to some.

Very happy and will defo buy Caberg again.
Old 07-11-14, 06:46 PM   #15
atassiedevil

Although this is a thread revival, i've also just bought one of these.

VERY very impressed with it, massively quieter than my last lid, and the only negative i can find is one that has already been flagged by others, peripheral vision is slightly reduced, but you can still do shoulder checks just fine.

Before my better half couldn't hear me over the intercom at over 50mph, now she can hear me clearly at most speeds.

So impressed i am going to buy her one too. Definitely like the pinlock, but it doesn't stop my glasses steaming up, but what would?

Would i buy another? hell yes.
Old 07-11-14, 10:14 PM   #16
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

I've now had mine for over 13000 mile since march. The helmet now feels a just a little to big so will be replacing the lining over winter. The shell is a single size so the lining is the only difference in helmet size. I've confirmed this with the importers. I may go for a small as opposed to a medium liner so it beds in to a better fit.
Still well happy.
Old 03-03-15, 03:59 PM   #17
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

So, I've had the Duke for 6 months now and it's still a belter.

It whistles when doing a shoulder check and I need to adjust the pinlock but the pins don't want to move, on my old AVG the pinlock had a slot in it like a screw so you could use a screw driver to adjust it but on this the pin is a dome on both sides so I am going to have to try it with pliers tonight.

But that's the only things I can find wrong with it.

I still love it to bits

Look right-> <-Look Left
Old 04-01-16, 09:41 PM   #18
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I've been pleased with my Caberg Duke. It was a choice between that or a non-flip-up HJC or AGV both of which I liked, but fit wasn't right on them. The Duke has been really comfortable. Closes up tighter when the front is slipped down and fits my head perfectly.

I've never noticed the sun shade visor causing problems when up, and rarely use it as I've found it to be a bit distorting and wobbly to look through. Useful to have there as a back up though if I ever find myself on a long journey towards the sun and forget sunglasses.

I did have a moment once where the slider on the side that locks the flip up front in the up position or allows it back down went a bit funny and kept locking it up even when in the other position meant to allow it down. Not happened again since though.

I wasn't necessarily after a flip-up, but reveiws were good, safety rating is supposed to be good and price is good for the decent quality that it seems to be. And above all very comfortable and a good fit (although that will be different for everyone -- as always, try on before you buy) . Pin lock insert worked well for me too last winter.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 09:27 AM   #19
Swin

This thread is perfect timing for me, my Justissimo is going to be replaced this year and I was planning on going for a Duke, glad to hear that Caberg are keeping up their standards
Old 07-01-16, 12:30 PM   #20
TheWeeSteev

I've been running around with the Caberg Duke legend for a year now and it's been great, through all seasons. To be honest though I used to just buy really basic helmets as I rode 125cc's on my commute.

I got the lovely matt black with fluorescent stripe and would definitely recommend this, I'll be going for a Caberg Duke again when the time comes.