SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-10-17, 10:32 AM   #1
DomP

Default Service history

Anyone on here ever bought a clean looking bike with little to no service history.

You can look back at old mot's on government website to verify mileages so that can confirm a few things.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Old 28-10-17, 11:05 AM   #2
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: Service history

Mine was very clean and didn't have much service history apart from receipts for oil filters and oil, new battery and a few MOTs. The MOTs proved it didn't get used for the first three years of it's life though and then only had 9,000 miles on it when I got it when it was 7 years old. Upgrades and anodized parts tended to suggest that previous couple of owners had polished itmore than ridden it too. Previous owner also admitted to never riding at night or rain. Proved by the mileage being almost the same from the time he bought it to when he sold it to me.

I'd say you can get a feeling for how well a bike has been looked after. Rather, if it hasn't been cared for then visible problems (chain stretched etc) probably suggest other less visible things have been neglected.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-17, 12:30 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

in most cases service history means nowt except its had oil and filter change. very few owners will actually stick to the book.

for me its how many owners, condition of oil filter (if visible), signs of road rash and completely stock with no silly aftermarket parts like cheep mini indys or tail tidy and anodised bolts etc.etc usually means that the owner/s have spent more on making it look good rather than servicing it.

just because its shiny shiny dont mean that its a well cared for bike.

unless its a new bike then something is going to need done regards servicing so expect to do a service when you get it.

never ever take an owners word about anything, people will lie to get a sale and most importantly is how you feel, if something is making you feel its not right then walk away as you will never be happy.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-17, 02:18 PM   #4
tom_e

My K5 came with pretty much no service history, was a nice tidy example though meaty tyres, couple of bits done like crash bungs and exhaust but nothing too flashy. I've since doubled and then some the 20k miles it came with without issue.

Although it does now have a fair few Ti nuts and bolts along with some anodised bits so is now a junker
tom_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-17, 03:32 PM   #5
SV650rules
Mega Poster

FSH in majority of cases is not worth the paper it is written on (same with cars I have bought from dealers over the years). As Bibio says look out for cosmetic mods as this is normally a sign that owner is more interested in the look of the bike than its welfare in other departments. Look at condition of chain and sprocket, a loose or overly tight dry chain and sprocket with no sign of lube. I know people with cars who are very good with polish and wax but have no mechanical knowledge or sympathy. one of my neighbours polishes his car every few days, but this is the same guy that sits on his drive warming up his car for 20 mins (even in summer) before driving off, and most people know the quickest way to warm an engine is to get moving ASAP after starting, he never lets his turbo cool down either, just switches engine off as soon as car hits the driveway.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-17, 03:44 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

if someone else owned my bike and i turned up to buy it i would walk.. it has no service history, i dont keep receipts and it gets washed one maybe twice a year if its lucky. but i know for a fact that although the bike dont look the best its very well maintained, but only i know this.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-17, 06:19 PM   #7
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I quite like seeing MOT advisories (rather than fails) and then checking that the person acted on them... gives a good indication that people care for the bike / car.
Old 28-10-17, 07:17 PM   #8
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
I quite like seeing MOT advisories (rather than fails) and then checking that the person acted on them... gives a good indication that people care for the bike / car.
My mate was an MOT inspector, he said that VOSA was happy if they put down an advisory or two on the certificate, made them look as though they were doing a thorough job, so many advisories may just be window dressing.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-17, 09:13 PM   #9
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I've never had an advisory that wasn't based on someting worth doing. And if something is advised but not totally necessary but the owner acted on it then I see it as an indication that they might care for the bike / car.
Old 28-10-17, 09:14 PM   #10
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I think test centres also increase their chances of being investigated if they don't give many advisories or fails.