SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

EuroTour An area to discuss potential European trips, and to ask advice about long distance touring.

Old 26-01-07, 10:05 AM   #1
600+

Default Thinking of a Euro Trip - ideas?

Although I should post this in the EuroTour section I doubt it I would get any replies

So here goes...

I'm thinking of a long weekend - Friday to Monday and especially the Easter weekend 6th to 9th of April. Baring in mind I will have to set off from M'cr that will take me a good 5hrs to reach Dover.

So any1 can suggest a route? I did have a look at the EuroToor stickies It's going to be me and the gf on the bike so really going for leasure not raicing over the border

also if any1 wants to come along feel free

Thanks
Old 26-01-07, 10:13 AM   #2
Rossi_C

Hi mate, I did the same a few years ago. Left dover at 2am and was in Paris by 10am. Continued on a round trip of France over a few days. I was riding for about 10 - 12 hours per day stopping for gas and the occasional nicotine fix.

I'm unsure about the dates at the moment but definately interested. Might even be able to get my missus into the idea too. I'm local to you in Warrington nr Manchester. Whereabouts are you?

Do you have a route planned?
Old 26-01-07, 10:20 AM   #3
600+

Hi mate,

no route planned and the general idea of the trip is to go somewhere to relax for a bit with some nice scenery and places to eat and have a drink.

I prefer rural areas with nice places to see like small villages, green fields, big parks etc etc.

Wow though!! 10-12hrs a day of riding? erm don't think I wanna do sthing like that LOL

More of the type of person who enjoys riding to a place on one day, spend the day there looking around and relaxing, small distance trips to go see places around are acceptable

and then the next day do pretty much sthing similar to that.

I'm in central M'cr btw
Old 26-01-07, 10:22 AM   #4
Jelster

Considering the fact that you only have a long weekend I would suggest the Ardenne, in Belgium or maybe doing a short tour of the "D-Day" sites along the French coast - Something I have wanted to do for a while but can never seem to fit it in

It may be worth considering travelling down to Dover on the night before, so you can get an early start on the first day; even though I'm only 90 odd minutes from Dover, I like to get to Calais the night before, so I can get a bright early start on day 1. It just gives you a little more time actually across the border.

If you do go into the Ardenne, check out the US war cemetery at Neupre, just outside Liege, it's an amazing site.

Old 26-01-07, 10:32 AM   #5
the white rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelster
Considering the fact that you only have a long weekend I would suggest the Ardenne, in Belgium or maybe doing a short tour of the "D-Day" sites along the French coast - Something I have wanted to do for a while but can never seem to fit it in

It may be worth considering travelling down to Dover on the night before, so you can get an early start on the first day; even though I'm only 90 odd minutes from Dover, I like to get to Calais the night before, so I can get a bright early start on day 1. It just gives you a little more time actually across the border.

If you do go into the Ardenne, check out the US war cemetery at Neupre, just outside Liege, it's an amazing site.

Ardennes wot he said. Very close to ferry and tunnel.
Old 26-01-07, 10:34 AM   #6
600+

Cheers Jelster - I would have knocked on your door for info sooner than later

Would you be able to suggest a route? Or some info that I could put on a route planner site to get an idea? D-Day sites sounds very nice as it would give us some site seeing as well and not spending all day on the bike
Old 26-01-07, 10:39 AM   #7
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: Thinking of a Euro Trip - ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600+
I'm thinking of a long weekend - Friday to Monday and especially the Easter weekend 6th to 9th of April. Baring in mind I will have to set off from M'cr that will take me a good 5hrs to reach Dover.
I would strongly recommend taking the ferry from Hull. A quick 2 hours (max) down the M62 from manc. sails around 18:00 overnight to Zeebrugge so you arrive in Belgium fresh, with a nights kip under your belt. Then take Jelster's suggestion of the Ardennes, handy for Zeebrugge (Belgium is small place). Sail back to Hull and arrive fresh after your trip, no slog up the motorway from Dover.

And if you can leave work a bit early / arrive a bit late either end of your dates, you might be able to squeeze in two extra days instead of driving down/up Britain.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-07, 10:42 AM   #8
600+

Default Re: Thinking of a Euro Trip - ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600+
I would strongly recommend taking the ferry from Hull. A quick 2 hours (max) down the M62 from manc. sails around 18:00 overnight to Zeebrugge so you arrive in Belgium fresh, with a nights kip under your belt. Then take Jelster's suggestion of the Ardennes, handy for Zeebrugge (Belgium is small place). Sail back to Hull and arrive fresh after your trip, no slog up the motorway from Dover.

And if you can leave work a bit early / arrive a bit late either end of your dates, you might be able to squeeze in two extra days instead of driving down/up Britain.
ferry from Hull!! superb suggestion! Many thnx mate - i'll go check the site now

now need to plan the route and find accomodation
Old 26-01-07, 10:56 AM   #9
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Word of warning. Hull ferry more expensive, but I balance that against less fuel used. Overall more expensive, but saves you knackering yourself on motorways here. Take straps to tie your bike down and do it yourself! Ferry staff provide straps or rope, but not always ideal. They are not trained in how to tie down a bike. There are tie down points on the floor. This is a 12 hour trip on the North Sea, so can be rough at times, so do a job on tieing down the bike, don't want to get to it and find it on it's side!

I use 3m ratchet straps (25mm wide) on mine, one round headstock and one over seat. Use rags or your leathers to protect the paint. Take your luggage off the bike.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-07, 11:14 AM   #10
600+

Right oh

£275 is the ferry from hull for 2 people in cabins (cheapest options and no meals)

if we wanted to ride to Dover then that would be 5hrs and it's 300miles so about £60 petrol

The eurotunnel train though comes at £66 for the return trip??? didn't ask me for how many passengers though - and its 2hrs

What u guys reckon?