SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 02-03-14, 10:49 AM   #101
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed
Default Re: I can't believe it? Independence?????

If an independent Scotland was allowed to join the EU then a Scottish Citizen could seek help from the nearest EU countries embassy, in practice this sometimes works well and other times not so well. Otherwise Scotland will have to make their own arrangements as do all other independent countries.
I would assume that the staff at the British Embassy would offer the same degree of help to a Scottish citizen as to any other foreign citizen.
Old 02-03-14, 11:32 AM   #102
The Basket

Mr Salmond would like to join the Euro.
Mr Salmond was very praiseworthy of the economies of Ireland and Iceland.
Mr Salmond was praiseworthy of RBS.
Mr Salmond would like an independent Scotland to take its place with other small Euro countries like Greece and Ireland and Portugal.
Now....I ain't no politician but that nice Mr Salmond has done more U-turns than a motorcycle despatch rider.
Old 02-03-14, 12:25 PM   #103
Dicky Ticker

Try going into a foreign embassy or consulate and asking for assistance-------not a lot of joy. I was told to go and find a British one when it was about 200 miles away when in Greece.
Old 13-03-14, 07:13 PM   #104
fenjer

Dean, fyi.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG5181.jpg (122.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 14-03-14, 03:04 PM   #105
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Sadly they are proposing to work with Westminster. Proposals and the actual thing happening are completely different things. What happens when Westminster says No thanks we'll pay our services from our own department in Gosport.

The white paper is exactly the same as any political party's manifesto, its promises that they make to get your vote and how often do those things happen?. Please take the white paper with a pinch of salt just like you would when it was given to you by a political party before an election.

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-14, 10:20 AM   #106
fenjer

Presumably the MOD and Westminster could opt to move their payrpoll dept at any point, not just after independence, so that is a pretty weak argument against something that could bring potentially massive benefits to Scotland.

I also abhor that whole "I'm voting no, because I dont like Alex Salmond" argument. He's not going to be running the place in 40-50 years. Look further ahead than the end of your own noses.
Old 29-05-14, 07:47 AM   #107
duncs710

Its up to the Scottish people to decide there own fate as it will be ours if we ever get a vote on Europe, no country should be told what to do by another (kin Brussels) so in that debate I willbe voting OUT. The main question here is ,"can we still come up and ride your roads please". I still love you....
Old 29-05-14, 09:48 PM   #108
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncs710 View Post
Its up to the Scottish people to decide there own fate
No its not tho, see DT's posts from earlier, sorry for mashing them up a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky Ticker View Post
One thing that pi55es me off is not having a vote due to my residential status although I was born,educated and lived in Scotland for 25 years.

I am a Scotsman,my birth certificate states when and where I was born,my work record by NIC's gives where I worked but I have no vote on what becomes of my Nationality.
Well it was only 23 years with me, but over 5 of those were working, and thats not counting weekend/school holiday work.

Quote:
Can I claim as a refugee and get a free house and loads of Wonga in England.
Now THATS a cracking idea

Quote:

A Chinaman working in a restaurant in Glasgow can decide this for me,even if he is only here for a few years before he goes back to China.

Do I detect a flaw in the voting system?
I think you do.

Quote:
Yes it is a personal thing to me but I also consider my nationality to be quite an important issue which should be my decision given a choice
Anybody who has travelled the world and had dealings with embassies will appreciate that what it says on your passport can have a bearing, hence my concern, a whole new diplomatic issue if Scotland becomes independent.
Tyr going abroad, being asked "English?" saying "no, Scottish" and seeing the positive change in their demeanour...

Thats one of the reasons I pack my kilt when I go abroad

As for the vote, well I dont get one

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-14, 10:00 PM   #109
Bibio
Mega Poster

yes but you dont stay here now you decided to move to England therefore you are not a Scottish resident. there are plenty people living all over the world who are Scottish but decided that they dont like staying in Scotland so moved, why should they get a vote on the independence of somewhere they don't reside. when you cast a vote you cast that vote for the place you live, so if you want to vote on the independence of Scotland you had better move back up here.

nothing worse that a Scotsman living in another country shouting they are Scottish, if they loved being Scottish so much then they would stay in Scotland and take the rough with the smooth. but no you want your cake and eat it.

nothing personal and i think Soulkiss and Dicky are great people.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-14, 10:05 PM   #110
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
yes but you dont stay here now you decided to move to England therefore you are not a Scottish resident. there are plenty people living all over the world who are Scottish but decided that they dont like staying in Scotland so moved, why should they get a vote on the independence of somewhere they don't reside. when you cast a vote you cast that vote for the place you live, so if you want to vote on the independence of Scotland you had better move back up here.

nothing worse that a Scotsman living in another country shouting they are Scottish, if they loved being Scottish so much then they would stay in Scotland and take the rough with the smooth. but no you want your cake and eat it.

nothing personal and i think Soulkiss and Dicky are great people.
Love you too

If Scotland could have offered me the opportunities that moving south did, then I would have stayed, wasn't an easy choice to make.

I dont exactly disagree about not having a vote, as you say, I don;t live there, but I DO think that being born there should be a pre-requisite for gettig a vote along with residency

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote