SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-06-14, 08:47 AM   #21
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Default Re: Speeding

If you need your car for work and ride purely for fun and don't have the self discipline to ride within the speed limits I think you've answered your own question - track bike.

In 25 years of driving and 7 years of having a bike licence I've never picked up any points. I don't by any means drive or ride like a granny. I have to be careful in my car as I drive it like a go kart on country lanes despite it being a 3 litre 7 series but it'll cruise at 130mph on the motorway and feel like it's doing only 50. I have to set the cruise control at 78mph or I'd get done. Self control has to override the urge for speed.

Maybe the answer on the roads is to ride more with others, when you are in a group it's more about the social side, yes you can blat along straight roads but it's more fun to get out with a few others and find the twisties. Then it's less about reaching top speed, more about doing those corners better rather than necessarily faster.
Old 10-06-14, 10:18 AM   #22
NTECUK
Mega Poster

If you are still keen to ride on the highway, join IAM. Or ROSPA.
They do social rides, they don't hang around but keep the pace appropriate.
No one's saying that they are always inside the posted limits. Just there are less risky places for your licence.
Old 10-06-14, 11:28 AM   #23
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post

• Level 3 increases from £1,000 to £4,000. Offences include the sale of alcohol to a drunk person or being drunk and disorderly in a public place
Living near York where extreme drunkenness is a rite of passage, I have never heard of anyone being taken to court for selling alcohol to someone who is already drunk. ( or anywhere else for that matter )
Even at a grand a time, that would clear the National Debt within a couple of years, at 4 grand even sooner.
There have been 3 deaths already this year where extreme drunkenness has resulted in young people drowning in the Ouse.
Old 10-06-14, 11:43 AM   #24
maviczap
Mega Poster

Its just a money making idea, there's too few police to enforce most of what they're suggesting, except for the mobile speed camera's.

What I'd like to see is the instant ban & £5000 fine for texting at the wheel, was there any mention of this?

I recently read that texting at the wheel causes more accidents than drunk drivers
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-14, 11:57 AM   #25
christopher

I've done more thousands of miles in North/Mid Wales than I'd care to admit over the last 6½ years, and I've not ever had any problems or been stopped, not even for a safety chat. It's true there's a time and a place for riding spiritedly, but this certainly doesn't mean restricting yourself to the smaller roads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Were you caught by a fixed camera, a mobile camera van, or a copper with a laser gun?
Also interested in the answer to this. For me it's the possibility of an eye in the sky which worries me more than the others!
Old 10-06-14, 12:13 PM   #26
Spank86

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Its just a money making idea, there's too few police to enforce most of what they're suggesting, except for the mobile speed camera's.

What I'd like to see is the instant ban & £5000 fine for texting at the wheel, was there any mention of this?

I recently read that texting at the wheel causes more accidents than drunk drivers
all they're actually doing is giving magistrates the ability to fine people more where appropriate.

It's an increase to the MAXIMUM fine, and that's the one you could get if you have to go to court for it.
Old 10-06-14, 12:17 PM   #27
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post

It's the sending drunken angry texts to your ex as you drive away from a bar after just spotting them out with their new bit of totty. While wearing those ridiculous platform heels. That's the most dangerous. Maybe it's an Essex thing but you see it a lot where I live.
Old 10-06-14, 12:20 PM   #28
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
It's the sending drunken angry texts to your ex as you drive away from a bar after just spotting them out with their new bit of totty. While wearing those ridiculous platform heels. That's the most dangerous. Maybe it's an Essex thing but you see it a lot where I live.
Proving that females & drag queens are more dangerous drivers
Old 10-06-14, 12:33 PM   #29
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
I'm glade I don't live in Chelmsford then
Old 10-06-14, 12:37 PM   #30
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post
all they're actually doing is giving magistrates the ability to fine people more where appropriate.

It's an increase to the MAXIMUM fine, and that's the one you could get if you have to go to court for it.
Do you think I'm completely dumb, I completely understand what they've done!

Its still the ability to raise more cash, even though how often do magistrates impose the MAXIMUM fine after the defendant has pleaded how poor he is, after trying to support his wife and 15 kids, whilst running his Bentley
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote