SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-04-15, 10:43 PM   #1
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Default Help: Our parked car damaged by car transporter, 6 months on the guy is messing us round

Hi guys, this is turning into a saga so I'll keep it as short as possible.

Early december my missus' car was parked up while she was at work.

Guy in a car transporter scraped the car and damaged the nearside of body shell behind the door (3 door), ripped the bumper to bits and smashed the light cluster.

Witnesses saw him get out, inspect and then leave (he later claimed that he left a note but the rain and wind must have blown it away).

Missus obtained a quote from a bodyshop by sending pictures via email, they quoted about £300-£400 to fix. She then got 2 subsequent quotes by taking the car into 2 other bodyshops, they both advised circa £1500 to £2000 due to the extent of the damage.

The car transporter guy said he wasn't happy that the two latter quotes were so high and offered to have his own bodyshop fix the car. We pointed out a potential conflict of interest if the car wasn't repaired to a suitable standard in his own bodyshop, he then said we'd hear from his insurance company. That was in mid-february.

Despite chasing the guy we've heard nothing from him till last week when he finally gave us his vehicle reg, policy number etc. We've contacted his insurance company N.I.G. who claim to have no record of his policy. He answered this by saying "oh contact my broker then they'll contact NIG"... The broker have said there's no guarantee we'll hear from N.I.G.

Missus has contacted her own insurance who've said they can initiate the claim but her No Claims Bonus might not be protected if she's the one to initiate the whole thing, so they then advised her to contact this guys insurance company.

Any ideas on what we do next? Thanks in advance

p.s. the guy is Derek Wilson who runs a vehicle recovery company in Teesside if anyone on here has had any dealings with him?

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-15, 01:37 AM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Help: Our parked car damaged by car transporter, 6 months on the guy is messing us round

did you report it to the police at the time of incident?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-15, 04:07 AM   #3
Runako

Default Re: Help: Our parked car damaged by car transporter, 6 months on the guy is messing us round

Exactly. Getting a police incident no. should have been done asap.

See if you can do it now and provide the details. Then submit the claim to the insurers or initiate with your own company and let the insurers sort it out.

Your insurer just doesn't want the hassle of administering the claim, possibly because the event happened so long ago and the circumstances make it fit for dispute. But between the two companies, they can sort this out a lot quicker than you can (as is evident so far).
Old 24-04-15, 06:20 AM   #4
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Report it to the police and give your insurers the vehicle registration. They can trace it via MIB. The 2k estimate will be more accurate price

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-15, 06:28 AM   #5
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default Help: Our parked car damaged by car transporter, 6 months on the guy is messing us round

They were probably lieing to get out of the hassle. If it's a non fault claim it's a non fault claim, they can't affect your NCB just because it was raised on your side.

But def get a police incident ticket raised and go through insurers.
Old 24-04-15, 08:37 AM   #6
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Police were involved at the time initially because the driver failed to report it

"YP-141114-0381 - Crime number

Witness from #7 said she saw it happen around 1:30. She was having carpets delivered so carpet fitter saw it too. Low loader/lorry with cars on, tight squeeze, hit back of car. Stopped to take photo. Hadn't reported it to police as of 18:32.

Witness from #9 said he saw it happen.

Witness from barber shop saw it happen.

Witness from New Park house. Ex police man. Saw low loader coming past at 2pm. "

So can we just give the details to our company and they should sort it without any risk to us?

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-15, 09:13 AM   #7
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

When ever I've been hit I've always rang my insurance and initiated proceedings from my side ASAP and it's neverem affected my NCB, I've been hit 3 time's in the past 5 years. I never do it outside of insurance for the reasons you've said and at least if its an insurance job the work should be of a better quality, plus that's what you pay your premiums for. Your insurance will go up slightly anyway regards if it's not your fault As you'll still have to declare the accident as not your fault.

This nob head is just stalling for time and messing you about, bend him over and shaft him. My Mrs old car got reversed into in a car park and the guy that did it was doing exactly what yours is trying to get us to go through cash in hand by using various bull plop reason's, all because he wouldn't be able to afford the next premium on his brand new ST. **** them I say, should pay more attention and now your going to pay for it.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-15, 09:39 AM   #8
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideboy View Post
This nob head is just stalling for time and messing you about, bend him over and shaft him. My Mrs old car got reversed into in a car park and the guy that did it was doing exactly what yours is trying to get us to go through cash in hand by using various bull plop reason's, all because he wouldn't be able to afford the next premium on his brand new ST. **** them I say, should pay more attention and now your going to pay for it.
This....

My lad had a similar run-around by a taxi that rear-ended him a few years ago. Luckily I had advised him to call the police when it occurred in order to get a record. Basically the driver was insured by the taxi firm who didn't want to have a claim against them, so were ducking and dodging to do some cash in hand deal. Eventually we got the police 'to make enquiries' about whether they were insured etc and reported them to cab licensing authorities before they gave correct insurance details. In the interim period, he made the claim through his insurers who gave him a courtesy car until it was sorted, as they were confident that it was non-fault. It did not harm his no-claims, which was important as he was under 20 at the time and a claim could have made insurance too expensive for him.

You've been patient enough Paul, time for getting serious!
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-15, 11:28 AM   #9
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

It will affect your NCB from the time you claim until your insurance company get their money back from the other drivers insurance company.Its a no"claims" bonus not a no blame bonus so if your insurance company is left out of pocket they will up your premium.
Old 24-04-15, 12:07 PM   #10
Bibio
Mega Poster

stop dickkin about Paul and get in touch with insurance to sort it out.

it will not effect your mrs NCB as its a third party claim. if your mrs has FC then what her insurance company might want to do is fix it then claim back from other insurers, dont do this as then your mrs will loose her NCB as she has made a claim against her policy.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote