SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-09-11, 12:31 PM   #1
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Smile Report shows women cannot park their cars

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

What utter tosh! Some PEOPLE cannot park their cars, some are male, some are female.

I drive a mahoosive car, and yes I have parking sensors but the beeping drives me insane so I switch them off. I get sick of people asking if I'm ok to park my car becasue I am a 5'2" woman. As though being 6'1" and male would make getting into a tight space easier.

Just to prove the point, my car, reversed into this space in one flowing reverse sweep, easy.

Rant over. Back to reading the Daily Mail for the articles on shoes and handbags.
Old 26-09-11, 12:40 PM   #2
ravingdavis

Default Re: Report shows women cannot park their cars

What rubbish.

Stu blatantly parked that for you, stop taking credit for his parking skills.
Old 26-09-11, 12:49 PM   #3
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

No chance, that's neaxt to work on a weekend. You've never seen Stu try to parallel park have you? Even he admits he's astoundingly bad at it and now just drives forward, up the kerb and bangs the car back down into the space, but this requires a pretty big space to start with. One you could park a bus in.
Old 26-09-11, 01:00 PM   #4
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

LPH - you are unique, just like everyone else

Mind you, women would probably be better at parking if men hadn't been telling them that a inch and a centimeter are not the same size...

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-11, 01:01 PM   #5
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

LPH - you are unique, just like everyone else

Mind you, women would probably be better at parking if men hadn't been telling them that a inch and a centimeter are not the same size for all those years...

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-11, 01:06 PM   #6
Owenski

Hats off!
I couldnt do that. Not even when I drove a car daily.
Old 26-09-11, 01:17 PM   #7
beabert

Someone owns 3 cars
Old 26-09-11, 01:27 PM   #8
hindle8907
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post

Just to prove the point, my car, reversed into this space in one flowing reverse sweep, easy.

But for a guy that's just a normal day to day parking maneuver,
We wouldn't think twice about it and definitely wouldn't get a phone out to take a photo.
2010-Now -- 00 SV650s & 00 SV650n & GSXR 600 K2
hindle8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-11, 01:34 PM   #9
-Ralph-

Women are generally rubbish at driving full stop.

Over the next week or so when out on the bike, keep a count of the number of drivers who you think didn't see you, when they should have been aware of your presence. Once you are in a position to see the driver, then take a note male or female. I've done it a few times and it's about 70-75% female.

To be fair most of those women are driving along quite nicely, obeying the rules & speed limits, etc, they are not likely to have an accident so long as the traffic flows like it does 99.99% of the time, and nothing happens that they are not expecting, BUT they have no frickin' idea of what's around them or what constitutes a dangerous situation. Awareness is the key issue.

Of the remaining males, the majority are talking on the phone, eating, chatting to a passenger, in a rush and didn't take time to look, or just completely arrogant and driving a fancy car thinking they have right of way at all times.

I'm sure I'll get flamed by all the women for these comments, but almost all of the women on here ride bikes, which does wonders for your awareness, so probably don't fall under this generalisation. Everyone men and women should be forced to ride a motorbike for a year before they are allowed to sit a car test.

The problem with women and parking/map reading is spatial awareness, and that's well studied with mental agility tests such as 3D shapes and shape rotation/recognition, and men always outperform women in these tests.

Interest is also another issue, men generally are interested in driving technique, women just want to get from A to B. If you are not interested and don't apply yourself to a task, don't expect to be good at it.

Women however multi-task better, and switch tasks better, so if a women has the training to recognise dangerous situations, and applies all of her mental ability to driving, she will actually make a better driver than a man as she has better mental agility and can adapt better to changing situations. Women make great pursuit and emergency response drivers in the emergency services.

What they don't have/or suffer from depending on your perspective, is testosterone. Actually a disadvantage on the road, but a major advantage on the race track, hence the lack of women in motor racing.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 26-09-11 at 02:06 PM.
Old 26-09-11, 01:42 PM   #10
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindle8907 View Post
But for a guy that's just a normal day to day parking maneuver,
We wouldn't think twice about it and definitely wouldn't get a phone out to take a photo.
I took that photo to send to my husband as an example of how small a space the car will go into. We've had rows before where we've been looking for a space - I point to a space and say 'park there', he says, no chance, won't get it in there and the result is I disagree, he dumps the car in the middle of the street and leaves me to park it if I think I can fit it into that space. Usually with 2 of his mates in the back giving me points out of 10.

He has no sense of direction either. It's genetic. If his family all got into a phone box they'd get lost finding their way out, it's a family joke whenever we go out that they give me the map.