SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 17-11-14, 08:46 PM   #961
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Lots of roundabouts have either left or right lane for straight on with a merge on the exit, I often take the right hand lane as most car drivers tend to stay in the queue on the left, then give it some gas and make damn sure on exit I am leaving the roundabout with no-one else beside me.

Unless the roundabout you're taking about had a right only arrow painted on the ride hand lane entry into it?

Triumph and Suzuki owner
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-14, 08:53 PM   #962
Kenzie

No markings on the roundabout denoting direction. I guess if you look at it from that way then no bad.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-14, 09:10 PM   #963
Teejayexc

Gets even more interesting when they sit in the left lane on entry to a four exit roundabout, then decide to go all the way round and take the last exit
Teejayexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-14, 09:36 PM   #964
Red Herring
Mega Poster

General rule for motorcycles on all roundabouts is never sit directly alongside or behind another vehicle. That way it's quite hard for them to take you out even if they wanted to and you always have an option to avoid them.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-14, 09:55 PM   #965
Nutsinatin

There is a brilliant roundabout by me, has two lanes that enter the roundabout (both left/right/straight on) but only one lane that goes around it - leads to a few hairy moments!
Blue K9 Pointy #2 - Nearly at 120,000 miles!
Nutsinatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-14, 11:39 PM   #966
ophic
Mega Poster

I know several like that, eg 3 approach lanes but only 2 on the roundabout and a set of traffic lights as soon as you enter. Designed for fun not safety.
Old 18-11-14, 06:16 AM   #967
BanannaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaivalagi View Post
Some American's taking things far too seriously and not getting good old fashioned sarcasm...I try to take the pizz about them and their guns and some mention about the wild west on a Rocket 3 forum and got serious back lash, had to apologise to keep the peace...easily offended is an understatement!

Hey, don't make fun of our guns damnit or I'll have to come over there and shoot you with one of em'!

Irony and sarcasm are totally lost on (nearly all) Americans.
It's even worse when you explain it to them and they still don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
Know the feeling. A US colleague sent me a link to her Rolling Thunder chapter site and for a laugh I signed up and posted a few silly comments. My colleague thought it was great as she gets our humour and we both thought the bile and hatred that came back to me from the rest of them was just hilarious!

But the worst has to be... HD riders.

Making fun of Harleys or harley riders in person is likely to end in physical confrontation.
It's like you disgraced their church, cursed their mum and slaped their girlfriend all rolled up into one.
Can only imagine the responses Sir Trev got. LOL

What's worse, a great many of them are delusional to the point they think all other bike riders and any car owners they might encounter, love the sound of their loud pipes and admire their bikes wishing they owned a Harley.

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"

Last edited by BanannaMan; 18-11-14 at 06:36 AM.
BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-14, 06:59 AM   #968
Heorot

Mark, Sweet Briar / Dereham road roundabout?

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-14, 07:37 AM   #969
timwilky
Mega Poster

350ft of timber delivered at 6:05 this morning. yawn

Neighbour quite abusive at the noise as we unloaded the truck by hand, didn't quit understand when we told him it was him making the noise

Last edited by timwilky; 18-11-14 at 07:38 AM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-14, 07:42 AM   #970
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

Default Re: Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
No markings on the roundabout denoting direction. I guess if you look at it from that way then no bad.
2 lanes, no markings...left or right can go straight on...the only thing the harley rider did wrong was not give it enough twist to give himself all the space he needed...mind you that might be more of an issue with the bike than the rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heorot View Post
Mark, Sweet Briar / Dereham road roundabout?
That's one I can think of where both lanes can enter for the same exit with a merge, there are a few on the ring road!

Not the best design as it's asking for confrontation...that's where some good filtering and commanding of the road is required so you know you have the lane and exit for you. And it would be a different strategy for each entry even on that roundabout and whether it's free flowing or not, sometimes heading away from sweetbriar and straight ahead (enroute to A&E for example) I'll use the right only lane to get to the front and then barge in just behind the front man and carry on. Coming the opposite way where there are 2 lanes that can exit straight ahead with more free flowing traffic I'll position myself in a good spot to avoid confrontation and have sole "ownership" of my bit of road...if it's busy I'll be a road hog and make sure I am in control even if that's not truly the legal thing to do at the roundabout and I may **** someone off but I'll be safe!

Triumph and Suzuki owner

Last edited by kaivalagi; 18-11-14 at 08:29 AM.
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote