SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-12-12, 03:13 PM   #1
EssexDave

Default Problems with S3

Anyone who saw my post on another thread about how much I didn't rate the S3...I was talking to a friend who reckons that it might be because I'm still running ICS (Android 4.0.4) rathern than JB (4.1.2 I think is the latest). (He thinks updating will solve my battery problems at least, and make it run smoother)

So, he shows me on his phone where it is, but I cannot find the 'check for updates' in the 'about phone' tab in settings.

A bit of googling later - turns out Orange and T-mobile have apparently not released the update yet (despite O2 and Vodafone releasing sometime in September).

Now, from what I've read, this is a pretty significant update to the phone and supposed to change quite a bit, so I'm a wee bit peeved that for my good money (and c'mon phone contracts are pretty extortionate) I'm not getting the update until most people will apparently be getting 4.2?

Absolutely ridiculous.

/rant over.
Old 26-12-12, 04:02 PM   #2
rb8989

Default Re: Problems with S3

Im on tmobile and I'm on 4.1.2 and have been on JB 4.1.1 for ages prior. Updated OTA to 1.2 last night.
Old 26-12-12, 04:12 PM   #3
Stuuk1

I though all carriers had updated to jelly bean..

Download Kies and install on to your computer then plug the phone in, make a backup of everything through there first before updating.
Old 26-12-12, 04:17 PM   #4
Stuuk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuuk1 View Post
I though all carriers had updated to jelly bean..

Download Kies and install on to your computer then plug the phone in, make a backup of everything through there first before updating.
Actually I just Google it to, that's pretty pants... Without rubbing it in, JB completed the phone, it's worth the wait so hang on in there!
Old 26-12-12, 04:47 PM   #5
EssexDave

I installed Kies because I couldn't find an update button in settings!

I've updated the firmware and hopefully that will help my battery power a bit, but my mate with an S3 was getting an extra four hours over me. We even shut everything off, and both used just facebook for the same amount of time (my phone was on 6% his was on 4%) my phone died 2 minutes before his....I know that's not huge but to already have 2% more battery and die 2 minutes before doing the exact same tasks....

Frustrated isn't the word..
Old 26-12-12, 06:07 PM   #6
AndyBrad

Got s3 on orange here.

Updates help a little with battery. I too am peeved at lack of jb and there appears to be no idea of when it's coming if at all.!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Old 26-12-12, 08:13 PM   #7
Stuuk1

May just be a difficult battery, get a larger capacity one off eBay, there are plenty! I'm going to go for the really big double capacity one with the larger rear cover next...
Old 26-12-12, 08:50 PM   #8
a_monkey_hint

Root it and install jellybean (or one of the many roms out there).
Old 26-12-12, 08:51 PM   #9
EssexDave

I've considered rooting, but I would have no idea what I was doing, no real need to and wouldn't want to break it!
Old 26-12-12, 09:23 PM   #10
a_monkey_hint

Rooting is a fairly streamlined process, small risk of anything going wrong.