SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-09-12, 08:20 AM   #1
JonGeorge

Default Curvy wouldn't start.

Hi...

Curvy wouldnt start this morning was trying to turn over but nothing made some weird popping sound once or twice?, its recently had a new reg rec and Gel battery. I bumped it in the end,and obvious things to check? I keep it outside under a cover..

cheers
Old 18-09-12, 09:12 AM   #2
JonGeorge

Default Re: Would'nt start!

anyone?
Old 18-09-12, 10:38 AM   #3
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Why did you put in a new battery and reg/rec?Same issue previously?If so did you check the charging system fully at that time,and was it checked after the new parts?If its never been properly checked out you will need a multimeter and half an hour to do it.
Old 18-09-12, 10:58 AM   #4
JonGeorge

It completely died a month or so ago, took it to the garage and witnessed the mechanics jump the battery and take multimeter readings that were low, and the minute he touched any electrical instruments (Lights) it completly cut out, so he diagnosed the reg/rec and charged the battery (But it was fooked). Then replaced the above parts and it was putting out a correct reading. Not had any problems until this morning..

cheers
Old 18-09-12, 11:10 AM   #5
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: Curvy wouldn't start.

Id buy a cheap multimeter and repeat the test myself.Its very easy to do.I have always had a trickle charger as well,not for all the time,but just to make sure the battery gets a good full charge every week or two.Also get the new battery checked as it may be duff,and should be under warranty.A visit back to the garage who fixed it needed,as they supplied the battery and parts?
Old 18-09-12, 11:18 AM   #6
JonGeorge

Ok thanks, I've got a multimeter next to me in the office, ill pop out to the bike in a bit and check, what is a roughly acceptable reading? and yes they supplied all the parts and said to me if there are any more problems to bring it back as the parts are under warrenty.

cheers
Old 18-09-12, 11:31 AM   #7
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Theres a guide on here somewhere(search charging system)but you want to see 13.5-15.5 volts dc across the battery with the engine running at about 5000 rpm headlights on.While you are in there,the three yellow wires from the alternator to the reg should be putting out about 70volts ac each when tested against each other(1&2----2&3-----1&3)and each reading should be about the same.
And back to basics,do check all the connections,especially the battery terminals,earth straps and the relevant junction boxes.
Old 18-09-12, 11:53 AM   #8
JonGeorge

Thanks, I'll crack on and have a look into it....

cheers

Old 18-09-12, 01:04 PM   #9
JonGeorge

OK, here goes the findings, couldnt check the yellow wires as I had limited time,
12.89 volts engine off
13.45 volts on tickover with lights on.
13.93 volts with lights off on tickover
13.70 volts with lights off at 5000 rpm
12.89 volts at 5000 rpm with lights on.

Now it was fluctuating abit and i did see slighthly higher but it was stable at these readings.

cheers

Last edited by JonGeorge; 18-09-12 at 03:05 PM.
Old 18-09-12, 01:19 PM   #10
JonGeorge

Do they look ok?