SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-02-08, 01:40 PM   #1
DanAbnormal

Default Fork cartridges or just springs.

Hello one and all. I need some technical help with my bike. I would like to stiffen up the front end a little, after 20'000+ miles it has gone a little soggy. What are the main differences between cartridges and just progressive springs and thicker oil?

The cartridges are about 299 new, the springs are 75 plus fork oil.

I've only basic maintenance skills so would I need a shop to fit these for me?

Many thanks,

Dan
Old 11-02-08, 01:54 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Re: Fork cartridges or just springs.

Do you mean cartridge emulators? Like the Racetech or Traxxion parts? Or maybe the matris kit?

I did springs and oil on mine originally... It's not so much an upgrade as an adjustment, but it did make the bike feel a lot more stable, I think I could probably have been happy with just that. Plus, if you do that then later decide you want better, you don't lose more than a bit of labour and oil, since you can use the same springs.

Option 3: GSXR front end swap. I know it sounds more expensive and intimidating but if you're in the right weight range for the standard forks and you shop carefully, and sell your standard bits, it can be very cheap. My first would have been free, if I'd not spent extra on powdercoating and luxuries. It does get expensive fast if you need to rebuild the forks or you get landed with faulty bits, but it can be very cost effective. Insurance can be an issue though.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-08, 02:15 PM   #3
dyzio
Mega Poster

-> Northy
I'm thinking of doing my springs as well (khmm... asking someone to help/do it for me). You said in one thread that linear springs are the way to go.
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to start another progressive vs linear fight.
We all know where to get progressive springs (hagon, ktech) but where can you find the linear ones?
Cheers
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-08, 02:17 PM   #4
DanAbnormal

Thanks Northy.

I should have said, I have Hornet though so not sure the Gixxer front end will be any good!

The cartridge is a Matris kit. Looks quite handy but I didn't want to waste my money for a small change. I want to feel the difference.
Old 11-02-08, 05:20 PM   #5
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

You know where i am if you want a hand with stuff like that dit the springs and oil on the SV don't know if it's made anydifference as i haven't ridden it since doing them

like northy said you can always do the springs and oil first and then the matris kit if it's still not right for you
Old 11-02-08, 05:48 PM   #6
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganDan View Post
I should have said, I have Hornet though so not sure the Gixxer front end will be any good!
Have a look round, chances are there'll be something with similar stem dimensions, maybe CBR r rr r r forks or blade? Like the honda equivalent of the SV-gixxer swap.
Old 11-02-08, 06:51 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:

The cartridge is a Matris kit. Looks quite handy but I didn't want to waste my money for a small change. I want to feel the difference.
RobW is probably the man to ask about the Matris stuff, he's far more clued up than any of us I think. CBR600RR front end fits fairly easily to the RWU hornets I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyziowg View Post
-> Northy
I'm thinking of doing my springs as well (khmm... asking someone to help/do it for me). You said in one thread that linear springs are the way to go.
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to start another progressive vs linear fight.
We all know where to get progressive springs (hagon, ktech) but where can you find the linear ones?
Cheers
Ah, well, that's me parrotting someone else's opinion to be fair, I couldn't tell you which is better. The Ohlins ones are linear, and I'm sure Ktech do linear too. PDQ sell Racetech which are probably linear, PDQ are very good... But then with Ktech or Ohlins you get better stickers
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-08, 07:14 PM   #8
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
after 20'000+ miles it has gone a little soggy.
If you have been happy with it in the past then you need to replace the oil, the oil will be like water after 20k miles
Old 11-02-08, 07:37 PM   #9
DanAbnormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
If you have been happy with it in the past then you need to replace the oil, the oil will be like water after 20k miles
Cheers Blue. Yeah when it was new it was ace! I thought that the springs compress over time (or whatever you call it)?

Mind you, I have the mechanical skill of a drunk honey badger.
Old 11-02-08, 07:39 PM   #10
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Cheers Blue. Yeah when it was new it was ace! I thought that the springs compress over time (or whatever you call it)?

Mind you, I have the mechanical skill of a drunk honey badger.
It doesn't really work like that no ...

If you were happy with it before, then I'd change your oil (stock is 10w) and see if that sorts you out After advice on here, I mixed up some ~13w oil and its nicer damping than 10w

You can buy 12.5w oil, I suggest you give that a bash!! ... you will need 1l, it'll do both forks!

Any quality brand will do, but I use motorex fork oil, I actually mixed 7.5w and 15w in the right parts to make up my 13w oil Scroll down this page to get to the fork oils http://www.motorex.co.uk/products/gear.html

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 11-02-08 at 07:48 PM.