SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-02-13, 05:42 PM   #1
AkiraSV

Default Using spacers with K-Tech fork springs - K3.

Hey!

I'm soon to be replacing the fork springs in my '03 SV650 with some K-tech springs. After some research I decided the 8.5N springs would be best, however after contacting K-tech it seems they wont have the springs in stock for at least 4 weeks. Rang round a whole bunch of places late last week and they were out of stock too (waiting for them to be in stock at K-tech... figures).

I did however speak to JHS Racing who said they'll see what they can do for me. Got a call from them this afternoon saying tomorrow they'll be receiving some K-tech springs will which fit the SV650 fine, but will just need some spacers machining as they're a little shorter than the direct replacements. They're offering to machine the spacers for me and they say they'll fit in no problems and will work fine with the springs.

Just looking for a bit of advice as I'm a bit new to this. Will have slightly shorter springs but with spacers work just as good as the correct length spring?
Old 11-02-13, 07:18 PM   #2
Runako

Default Re: Using spacers with fork springs

I read your post to mean the spacers are too short. Are you sure this is not what they meant? If it is definitely the springs then it depends on the difference in length and springrate. But JHS, build and race SV's. These guys should know what they're talking about.

Not a recommendation as such but this is a more basic mod. Perhaps you can give em a call to ask for the spring length/rate and then compare this to the ones Ktech recommend for your bike, just to get some peace of mind.
Old 11-02-13, 07:34 PM   #3
AkiraSV

Sorry, I meant as in the springs they have are slightly shorter than the normal k-tech springs that are directly suited to the sv650, so they were going to machine some spacers to make up for the slightly shorter spring.

Didn't realise they build and race sv's... seems like they probably know what they're on about then, haha.

So does this seem like a decent option? The springs they have are the 8.5's like I was going to get direct from k-tech, just a little shorter.
Old 11-02-13, 07:41 PM   #4
Runako

I would say it depends on how much shorter but again, I doubt JHS would recommend springs that are too short. With stiffer springs the idea is you will rarely reach the limit (bottom out) unless you've got a ton of weight on it or you're absolutely hammering it. Its more likely to have an effect on the feel of the bike, but then you wouldn't know any different unless you tried other springs to compare. Its likely to be much better than stock in any case.

Last edited by Runako; 11-02-13 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-02-13, 07:56 PM   #5
AkiraSV

This is what I was thinking, thank you for the help!
Old 11-02-13, 07:59 PM   #6
Luke-SV

Have you tried maxton?? Sure they'll have some in stock! Luke
Old 11-02-13, 08:18 PM   #7
AkiraSV

Haven't tried them actually, will give them a go if the JHS thing is a no-go!
Old 14-02-13, 07:26 AM   #8
m`baubz

Default Re: Using spacers with K-Tech fork springs - K3.

i'm running k-tech springs which are 24 cm long (standard are 30-something cm) with no problems.
on k-tech's site it says they're meant for one of their cartridge kits and iirc they were a few quid cheaper than direct replacement for sv.
Old 14-02-13, 07:40 AM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

You can use any spring you want really, how long is your stock spacer? See if they have any that are 5/10/15/20mm whatever longer than stock and then trim your spacer down.
Old 28-03-13, 03:05 PM   #10
AkiraSV

Many weeks later... the correct springs arrived from K-Tech. Fitting them on Saturday!