SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-08-08, 10:38 AM   #11
Baph

Default Re: Scottoiler tip location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
I would fit a single injector near the rear sprocket as per normal use, I've seen some done on the front sprocket and the higher rpm seems to fling a lot, so you need to use much more oil to get enough on the chain.
As I'm yet to purchase a scott (and thinking about it)... I'm considering dripping oil onto the chain at the bottom of the front sprocket. That should reduce forces acting on the oil, and reduce fling.

It'll be a swine to fit it on the inside of the sprocket though, and equally a swine to move it out the way every time the sprocket is changed.
Old 23-08-08, 12:56 PM   #12
svrich

Thanks people. I have mounted the oiler and routed most of the pipes. I had a good fiddle with the positioning of the tip and found that the easiest and least fussy place to mount it is under the swingarm. Putting it bu the front sprocket doesn't give a good enough angle to ensure a good enough oil feed. I'll use some resin glue to attach the mounting plate and make sure I leave enoung room for the padock stand. The feed pipe should remain reasonably short and one zip-tie should secure it up and out of the way.
Old 23-08-08, 05:23 PM   #13
Seggons

Lozzo did a great job on his: http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...57#post1490857
Old 23-08-08, 05:52 PM   #14
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Isn't drilling the swingarm a bit dodgy dodgerson ?
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-08, 10:02 PM   #15
svrich

All done!
A few swear words later ( I dropped a spacer in the engine/suspension and couldn't find it. That is until I had finished . Never mind) it is all in. It fits perfectly behind the panel under the seat and the pipework all flows perfectly from it. I routed the filler tube between the under seat storage tray and the rear bodywork. It then pops out by the locking catch and hooks over one of the metal hooks (helmet hooks?) next to it. The feed tube goes through the swingarm alongside the spring and along the underside. I stuck the backet on using araldite and positioned the dual feed between the 6/7 o'clock position on the rear sprocket. If you didn't know it was there you would have to look for it to see it. I need to run the engine to check the flow but I confident that it will do as it is intended.
Also, while the tank was up I cut the wires for the ignition retard, and turned the rear preload up one click to compensate for all those icecreams I've been eating over the summer holidays (I've only got a week left )
Old 24-08-08, 08:53 AM   #16
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
Isn't drilling the swingarm a bit dodgy dodgerson ?
Depends where you drill...

Lozzo's is ok.
Old 24-08-08, 09:24 PM   #17
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
.....done on the front sprocket and the higher rpm seems to fling a lot, so you need to use much more oil to get enough on the chain.
This is mine

and I find the opposite, the oil usage is minimal, I usually adjust it up until there are just a few spots finding their way onto the wheel at which the chain is nicely moist.
The black scotty pipe runs down through the steel tube and ends up all but touching the sprocket. As the drip forms it reaches the sprocket face and just transfers itself across.

I've also made a shield mounted under the gearchange shaft area to stop crud from the front wheel getting thrown up straight onto the chain, which I suspect also creates a sheltered area which helps stop the oil getting blown around. I'll post up a pic* when I take one.

*Edit - yer'tiz

Last edited by embee; 25-08-08 at 03:37 PM.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-08, 09:41 PM   #18
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

That seems more sensible, the one I saw dripped it onto the top of the chain on the top run, bad idea.
Old 24-08-08, 09:43 PM   #19
Baph

Quote:
That seems more sensible, the one I saw dripped it onto the top of the chain on the top run, bad idea.
That's a good way to throw oil onto the floor.
Old 24-08-08, 09:44 PM   #20
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Yeah, protects the rising rate linkage from corrosion pretty well though