SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 08-05-07, 08:34 AM   #1
DaBlackKnight

Default Arygll & Bute Police Targeting Bikers Season...

Arygll & Bute Police Targeting Bikers Season...

anyone heard anything about this at all?

Parents said to me that the police are intending to set up road check points all over the Argyll & Bute area to "TARGET" bikers...and only bikers...

The aims are to cut down the very high rate of biker deaths on the roads of Argyll & Bute...
Supposedly Argyll & Bute has one of the highest death rates for bikers in the country?!

(I find these "figures" very interesting cause i work out of Dunoon Hospital and have not come across ANY biker fatalities/accidents in the last 3 years between Dunoon and Lochgilphead)

Anyways...
expect to be pulled over and treated like a criminal when they do pull you up...
and watch the police ignore the many boy racers with their excessive petruding exhausts and bald tyres go un-challenged...
Old 08-05-07, 09:16 AM   #2
peterco

Default Re: Arygll & Bute Police Targeting Bikers Season...

There was an article on Scotland Today yesterday,they where pulling in bikers for roadside checks etc.
http://www.stv.tv/content/news/main/...peeding_bikers

pete
SV650 Naked
BMW 650cs Scarfer
MZ RT 125 4 stroke

Last edited by peterco; 08-05-07 at 09:19 AM.
peterco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 09:31 AM   #3
peterco

Have come across this,
Police Warn Bikers

Road policing officers have teamed up with local officers in Argyll and Bute to warn bikers of the consequences of riding carelessly.
Motorcycling is a very popular leisure pursuit - Argyllshire, with it's long winding roads and stunning scenery, is a bikers paradise. It provides enjoyment for many people as well as having the potential to be both financially economical and an environmentally friendly mode of transport.
However, motorcyclists continue to represent a large number of road casualties. From 2004 - 2006, 15 people (55.6%) were killed in bike crashes in the Argyllshire area alone.
In an effort to reduce the number of deaths and casualties, high visibility patrols have been out in force during the holiday weekend cracking down on bikers who flout the law.
Bikers who fail to maintain a safe distance from other drivers, overtake improperly or have loud exhausts have been targeted as this behaviour impacts on the quality of life, not just for residents but visitors to the Argyllshire area.
Speaking of this latest road policing campaign; Chief Inspector Jim Igoe, Strathclyde Police Road Policing Department, said:
"There is no excuse for those who ride carelessly or exceed the speed limit and who cause nuisance and annoyance to other people.
"Under Anti-Social Behaviour Order (ASBO) legislation those caught speeding or distressing members of the public will face a formal written warning, which is recorded for 12 months. Should the driver commit a similar offence within the 12 month period their bike will be confiscated and they will be reported to the Procurator Fiscal.
"Bikes being used without insurance or driving licence will be seized by my officers. These measures may sound harsh but a balance must be struck to allow local people and visitors to enjoy the peace and quiet of the area as much as the bikers."
He added:
"I must stress the majority of bikers are content to visit the Argyllshire area and enjoy their motorcycling experience. We aim to target the minority who are intent in exceeding the speed limit, riding carelessly and making a nuisance of themselves.
"Bikers and motorists alike should bear in mind that my officers provide high visibility and unmarked patrols on the roads 24/7 and will enforce the law to ensure safer roads in Argyll and Bute."

pete
SV650 Naked
BMW 650cs Scarfer
MZ RT 125 4 stroke
peterco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 11:28 AM   #4
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlackKnight View Post
Arygll & Bute Police Targeting Bikers Season...

anyone heard anything about this at all?

Parents said to me that the police are intending to set up road check points all over the Argyll & Bute area to "TARGET" bikers...and only bikers...

The aims are to cut down the very high rate of biker deaths on the roads of Argyll & Bute...
Supposedly Argyll & Bute has one of the highest death rates for bikers in the country?!

(I find these "figures" very interesting cause i work out of Dunoon Hospital and have not come across ANY biker fatalities/accidents in the last 3 years between Dunoon and Lochgilphead)

Anyways...
expect to be pulled over and treated like a criminal when they do pull you up...
and watch the police ignore the many boy racers with their excessive petruding exhausts and bald tyres go un-challenged...
They have already started at the weekend there. Every bike herded and inspected ,fines dished out for pipes and plates. Also heard of a "noise-up" from an unmarked car goading a bike to break speed limit. Sitting a few feet off their tail at 60mph on the lochside road. Smart.

Its a purge. Same every year. Feck'em. Don't let the bastids grind you down.

Be lucky
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 11:30 AM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

That article on the news was erally funny... They were saying about how they were going to stop dangerous speeding, but it was ****ing with rain and the only bikes they could find were being ridden at 30mph by old men with beards But they still showed them writing tickets, and clearly not for speeing under the circumstances.

I've no problem with genuine speeding initiatives, but this ain't one.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 11:39 AM   #6
The Basket

they may have booked them for having beards and that seems fair to me. And owning a Harley surely is a crime there.

Don't want to give my Englishness away but where is Argyll and Bute?
Old 08-05-07, 11:52 AM   #7
Cam_73

More statistics!!??

OK so 15 bikers or 55% over 04-06

No mention of the cause of the accident or responsibilities.

So John Do could have been wiped out by a speeding car while on his own side of the road riding within the limit appropriate to the road condition (to use the jargon)

I never put much faith in statistics, as my old lecturer used to say, they can tell you anything presented in the right way.

Rant over, back to work
Old 08-05-07, 12:12 PM   #8
Tiger 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Basket View Post
where is Argyll and Bute?
It's the lumpy bit of Scotland up and left from Glasgow

Old 08-05-07, 01:05 PM   #9
DaBlackKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterco View Post
From 2004 - 2006, 15 people (55.6%) were killed in bike crashes in the Argyllshire area alone.
pete
ok...15 people died...
but...HOW did they die?
i bet 90% of those deaths were nothing to do with speed or biker holiganism!!
unaware car drivers and bad road/weather conditions come to pass 1st before calling in the army!

Quote:
cracking down on bikers who flout the law.
pete
WTF?!
are all bikers criminals from a US cable TV show?

Quote:
Bikers who fail to maintain a safe distance from other drivers, overtake improperly or have loud exhausts have been targeted as this behaviour impacts on the quality of life, not just for residents but visitors to the Argyllshire area.
pete
BIKERS?!
why not ROAD USERS (inc cars?!!?)
everything in the paragraph above relates to ALL road users, not just bikers!
loud exhausts..YES...some bikers are just taking the mic with the amount of noise they r trying to create from their 600cccc
BUT
boy racers are doing the same to their 1.0 corsa's!

Quote:
"There is no excuse for those who ride carelessly or exceed the speed limit and who cause nuisance and annoyance to other people.
pete
nuisance and annoyance to other people?!?!
does that include people who sit at 25 mph in a national speed limit area?

Quote:
"Under Anti-Social Behaviour Order (ASBO) legislation those caught speeding or distressing members of the public will face a formal written warning, which is recorded for 12 months. Should the driver commit a similar offence within the 12 month period their bike will be confiscated and they will be reported to the Procurator Fiscal."
pete
OTT i think...
does a car get reported to the fisco is he gets caught speeding on the M8 one week after being caught for the same offence on the M1?

Quote:
"Bikes being used without insurance or driving licence will be seized by my officers."
pete
no argument there...
BUT...should the DVLA computer not already be picking up bikes that are not taxed?
thats like a painter saying..."i supply my OWN brushes!!"

Quote:
"I must stress the majority of bikers are content to visit the Argyllshire area and enjoy their motorcycling experience."
pete
i am sure 99.9% of the bikers are not content in being pulled up be young power hungry cops and spoken to like a 2nd class citizen
i am content as well to go riding in argyllshire, providing i am not treated like a criminal for ridding 2 wheels on a sunny weekend!

all in the name of safey my bottom!
anyone that read MCN this week would have seen the WELSH Hitler of traffic cops using a decapitated bikers body as slogan for safer biking...i mean....what the hell are the cops up to?!
Old 08-05-07, 01:17 PM   #10
The Basket

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlackKnight View Post
anyone that read MCN this week would have seen the WELSH Hitler of traffic cops using a decapitated bikers body as slogan for safer biking...i mean....what the hell are the cops up to?!
That was well out of order that was. Heard about that and I was disgusted.

And I now know where Argyll and Bute is.