SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-09-08, 08:51 PM   #1
muffles

Default Which satnav?

Thought this would be a popular topic but can't find anything on search...

I am thinking about getting a satnav for the bike(s) and am a bit confused about what's out there, what it does, etc. Hoping to get a straightforward answer from someone in the know rather than trawling the net.

I am happy with a basic satnav if it is cheaper (I actually just want it for rideouts so I can just ride off down nice roads and still get home, and also have a looksy to see if any nice looking roads are in the area), but it has to be a bike one (weatherproof), and the only other thing I would like (if it exists) is for a mount that has a power-supply built in - so the unit is powered when mounted, and I don't have separate wires.

About the only thing I've seen is the Garmin Zumo 550 which seems to be their flagship (read most expensive) model...seems to have lots of things I don't need (MP3 player, JPEG viewer?!).
Old 06-09-08, 08:56 PM   #2
ThEGr33k

Default Re: Which satnav?

None. They are crap. Get a decent map
Old 06-09-08, 08:59 PM   #3
muffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
None. They are crap. Get a decent map
You know I wrote out a bit more in my post before I decided I was waffling lol, I knew I should have kept it...

Basically, there's no room for maps on the bike, this is when I go out with my mate and we don't want to carry bags, and the maps don't fit under the pillion seats (both GSX-Rs).

I think it'd also be better to just be able to see what roads are coming up rather than have to stop and see ...I don't really envisage using it much for working out a specific route for me (although my car Garmin is OK enough).
Old 06-09-08, 08:59 PM   #4
kwak zzr

shellnav works for me.
Old 06-09-08, 09:00 PM   #5
muffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr View Post
shellnav works for me.
Is that also know as woozlenav or am I seeing something that doesn't exist
Old 06-09-08, 09:04 PM   #6
kwak zzr

yep but she tells me the proper name is shellnav.
Old 06-09-08, 09:14 PM   #7
muffles

Ah, woozlenav must have been the development title
Old 06-09-08, 09:23 PM   #8
embee
Mega Poster

Being boring, sorry, check out http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php

All the answers are there...............just hunt around.

I have the 550, it's been great so far. Make sure you understand what each spec has featured, car/bike mounts, text to speech etc.

As for bike specific units I think you're basically down to various Zumos and TomTom Rider2, though there are other ways round it.
Old 06-09-08, 09:50 PM   #9
muffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
Being boring, sorry, check out http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php

All the answers are there...............just hunt around.

I have the 550, it's been great so far. Make sure you understand what each spec has featured, car/bike mounts, text to speech etc.

As for bike specific units I think you're basically down to various Zumos and TomTom Rider2, though there are other ways round it.
Thanks, will take a quick peek. Hopefully there is a thread titled "different units & how much" I literally just want to know stuff like what's the cheapest one I can get, and do any exist that have that mounting I mentioned...
Old 06-09-08, 09:56 PM   #10
muffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffles View Post
Thanks, will take a quick peek. Hopefully there is a thread titled "different units & how much" I literally just want to know stuff like what's the cheapest one I can get, and do any exist that have that mounting I mentioned...
OK, gave it 5 minutes but I think it'll be just as productive searching the net. Looking at Halfords, the answer seems to be that a motorcycle satnav will be £300-£400, the mount I am still unsure about - but the price puts me off at the moment, I was hoping for something nearer the £200 mark. I guess motorcycle sat navs are still priced a fair bit higher.