SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-05-20, 09:19 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default We know this...

...what's the best all-round motorcycle?

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/4...er-motorcycle/
Old 24-05-20, 10:57 AM   #2
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: We know this...

Been saying this for years!
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-20, 06:45 PM   #3
zsv650s

Does look a bit meh though the new bike they could have tried a bit harder especially with kawasaki making some pretty funky bikes at the same price point.
zsv650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-20, 08:40 PM   #4
SV650rules
Mega Poster

The magic engine more than makes up for a few styling misdemeanors by Suzuki --- yes I would even consider a Gladius because it had new twin spark engine ( and because I am not in habit of putting form before function ).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 24-05-20 at 08:42 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-20, 08:42 PM   #5
zsv650s

Yeah it's a decent engine but then there's nothing not decent about the kwaks parrellel twin or the yams twin suzuki need a kick up the **** in the styling department.
zsv650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-20, 07:20 AM   #6
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsv650s View Post
Yeah it's a decent engine but then there's nothing not decent about the kwaks parrellel twin or the yams twin suzuki need a kick up the **** in the styling department.

Interesting that Yamaha chose to use a 270° crank on their parallel twin to emulate a V twin "feeling". Obviously styling is subjective but I bought one because of the styling not despite it, I'm not a big fan of the "insectoid" look, but each to his own.
Old 25-05-20, 08:47 AM   #7
SV650rules
Mega Poster

A 270 degree crank is a compromise to make engine cheaper to produce, but does not solve basic parallel twin problems of rocking couple due to offset crankpins, and balance shafts required for higher revs. A V twin can use a common crankpin ( just like Merlin engines did - with 6 crankpins for 12 cylinders ) which removes the rocking couple and anyway a 90 deg V twin intrinsically has perfect balance. So it would seem a 270 degree parallel twin is a poor mans V twin, all kudos to Suzuki for supplying the more expensive proper V twin in a bike that costs the same as 270 deg 'pseudo' ( wannabee ) V twins.

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/h...tbike-testing/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight-twin_engine

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 25-05-20, 07:55 PM   #8
proze

Thank you for those links. Sent me down an hour of reading about crankshaft design. So awesome! I wish I'd trained as a MechEng.
proze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-20, 08:13 AM   #9
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by proze View Post
Thank you for those links. Sent me down an hour of reading about crankshaft design. So awesome! I wish I'd trained as a MechEng.

Some more light reading LOL - the take away message is that inline / parallel engines always have problems with vibration that have to be dealt with in various ways ( counter-rotating balance shafts etc. ) - but a 90 degree V twin has intrinsic perfect balance. I must say that when I first rode a SV650 I was very impressed with lack of vibration at all revs, and that lovely V twin sound was more than an added bonus - Harley-Davidson is a 45deg V twin and on tickover the whole thing shakes and the front wheel moves back and forth by inches as the pistons thrash around. IIRC later Harleys have balance shafts etc and for most Harley owners the vibration thing seems to be part of their charm LOL

My early riding experience with British parallel twins was white fingers from the vibrations ( like people who work on jack-hammers a lot get LOL ).

Been out on SV twice in last week after lockdown lifted a bit and can't stop grinning - it always has that effect - got new Avon storm 3D tyres as well and they are great.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_balance

Last edited by SV650rules; 26-05-20 at 08:24 AM.
Old 28-05-20, 04:19 PM   #10
Toooldtodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
...what's the best all-round motorcycle?

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/4...er-motorcycle/

I have a Suzuki GSXS 1000f and whilst that is an absolute hoot, every time I get the SV out on the road I come back home thinking, "That is a cracking bike". It just does so many things so damn well that if I had to have only one bike it is the bike I would keep!

Last edited by Toooldtodie; 28-05-20 at 04:20 PM.
Toooldtodie is offline   Reply With Quote