SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 18-11-14, 04:18 PM   #11
ophic
Mega Poster

Default Re: Landlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvNewbie View Post
...slaughtering goats in the front room
This is fine as long as you steam clean the carpet afterwards
Old 18-11-14, 05:53 PM   #12
Messie
The Teacer
Mega Poster

I hate Landlords. I've never had experience of a reasonable one. My daughter (in reality my money) never got her deposit back, even after I went in and cleaned the places from top to bottom. I've never known a landlord to accept reasonable wear and tear ( which should actually just be living in a place).
I also work with dozens of landlords who think that a deposit is just their due and have no intention of giving it back, as there is a rent deposit guarantee scheme.
I would advise all people who rent their home to not pay the last 4 or 6 weeks of their rent, as the only way I know of getting their deposit back.
A stain on a carpet??? Does this never happen in an owner occupied home?
Old 18-11-14, 06:36 PM   #13
Phoenix22

There are good & bad of each out there & a sizeable portion of my income comes from fixing houses for landlords that tenants have damaged. My bill for the last one was approaching £2500. On top of that the landlord had unpaid rent for the time it took for the bailiffs to evict, plus the cost of that, plus the down time when the work was being done. On the other hand I work for another landlord who routinely deducts money from the deposits for oven cleaning & a full valet if he finds a single speck of dust on top of any of the door frames!!
Old 18-11-14, 06:53 PM   #14
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messie View Post
I hate Landlords. I've never had experience of a reasonable one. My daughter (in reality my money) never got her deposit back, even after I went in and cleaned the places from top to bottom. I've never known a landlord to accept reasonable wear and tear ( which should actually just be living in a place).
I also work with dozens of landlords who think that a deposit is just their due and have no intention of giving it back, as there is a rent deposit guarantee scheme.
I would advise all people who rent their home to not pay the last 4 or 6 weeks of their rent, as the only way I know of getting their deposit back.
Agreed.
BB junior is buying a place at vast expense mainly to get away from troublesome greedy landlords.Been in several rentals and they have never trashed the place but there is always money taken from the deposit for totally spurious "damage".And what endless hassle to contest it.Who needs it?
Old 18-11-14, 06:56 PM   #15
Spank86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Agreed.
BB junior is buying a place at vast expense mainly to get away from troublesome greedy landlords.Been in several rentals and they have never trashed the place but there is always money taken from the deposit for totally spurious "damage".And what endless hassle to contest it.Who needs it?
Do what I used to, when you receive the inventory send it back with amendments detailing all the dust, carpet marks, poor state of the oven and anything else that you can see with the most ridiculously meticulous eye you can muster.

Then when you move out you can confidently point out the improvement from when you moved in.
Old 18-11-14, 07:46 PM   #16
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

Quote:
My wife runs a small cleaning company and has done a few end of tenancy cleans. So when the youngest went to uni she took photo's before she moved in and sent them to the landlord, when she left she took the same photo's and sent him them including all the meters, wheelie bins, furniture the lot. no problems. You have to start from the beginning with the intention of getting the bond back, it's no good reacting later.
Old 18-11-14, 08:13 PM   #17
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Yup, and we pay to replace it. Why shouldn't you?
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-14, 09:25 PM   #18
thefallenangel

I would assume cost of a fair repair of the carpet whether that's a deeper clean or replace the section of the carpet to return it to a 2 year old carpet or better. Under the old "return it as you would want it back" saying.
Old 18-11-14, 11:20 PM   #19
Amadeus

Default Landlords

Quote:
I hate Landlords.
Thanks

Quote:
I've never had experience of a reasonable one.
Well that certainly puts you in a position to hate someone you've never met.

Quote:
My daughter (in reality my money) never got her deposit back, even after I went in and cleaned the places from top to bottom.
Good to see parents bringing children up to take responsibility for their actions.

Quote:
I work with a man from Georgia who has a bushy moustache. I'm expecting to find out any day now that he's been responsible for 20m deaths.

Quote:
Ah, theft/fraud. Always a good recommendation.

Quote:
Well it hadn't happened in the 14 years my wife and I had lived there - the only reason we'd replaced the carpet was because the wall had moved.
And if I'd damaged a carpet (or anything) in someone else's house, I'd expect to pay for it. And if I'd done it in my own house, I'd also pay for it. Or have insurance to claim against.

Tongue taken out of cheek.

Seriously tho, I'm sorry your experience has been so bad but I think we were decent landlords e.g. didn't charge them for breaking the garage door a week after moving in when they pulled up hard on one corner of the half open door, provided brand new white goods (Bosch) etc.
We are accidental landlords who rent the house out because we couldn't sell it. Not trying to make lots of money out of anyone, fair means or foul.
Old 19-11-14, 12:41 PM   #20
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

A lot of us have had bad experiences of landlords at some point, from the Middle Eastern guy who vanished when we asked for our deposit back to the mad woman who deducted charges for things that were lost by someone else... On the other hand I've also had a really laid back guy as landlord who was so friendly I gladly helped repair things and get the place ready for new tenants when I was moving out.

My view on your carpet, for what it's worth, the tenant rendered it unusable by staining it. This is damage, not wear and tear, and unless it is replaced you cannot get the same rental from the property. As such they should pay to replace it or have it taken back to a condition consistent with the unstained part of the carpet if possible.