SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-04-11, 02:43 PM   #1
awkwardbydesign

Default Effect of slipper clutch?

I have been thinking of installing a slipper clutch for some time, but would like some feedback from those who have tried one. I did a track day at Brands recently, and was fortunate enough to collar an instructor on an SV650 (pointy) who races the thing. I have a '99 curvy with a 700 engine, m4 full race exhaust, Racetech/Traxxion/maxton spring forks, Nitron race shock, GSXR front brakes and a steering damper (vital to me!).
I was able to follow the instructor's lines and see where he changed gear. At the end of the main straight, he said he doesn't brake, just knocks it down one gear, I tried it and it worked!
My question is; would that still work with a slipper clutch? I know the idea of a slipper is to stop the rear locking on downshifts, but would I also lose the engine braking? Or would it just come in more gradually, maybe change down slightly earlier so I had full engine braking when I needed it? Or would it keep slipping until the pressure was off the clutch?
My bike has a steeper than normal head angle (steering damper needed!), so the extra chain play can unsettle the bike when changing gear.
I just need advice from someone with experience, not opinions on my riding style, which at 62 is not going to improve much! I am in a cast with a broken thumb at the moment anyway.
Thanks.
Old 16-04-11, 04:10 PM   #2
cb1000rsteve

Default Re: Effect of slipper clutch?

You will not notice the slipper clutch until it is needed to be called into action. The engine braking force on the clutch means it will not slip but if the rear wheel isn't turning quick enough this will make it slip until it catches up. Its like a one way valve is simple terms. The engine is allowed to slow the rear but the rear isn't allowed to slow the engine. This is in very simple terms i hope it helps.
Old 16-04-11, 04:13 PM   #3
speedplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rsteve View Post
The engine is allowed to slow the rear but the rear isn't allowed to slow the engine. This is in very simple terms i hope it helps.

Old 16-04-11, 09:27 PM   #4
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Makes bump starting a bit tricky!
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-11, 12:11 PM   #5
awkwardbydesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rsteve View Post
You will not notice the slipper clutch until it is needed to be called into action. The engine braking force on the clutch means it will not slip but if the rear wheel isn't turning quick enough this will make it slip until it catches up. Its like a one way valve is simple terms. The engine is allowed to slow the rear but the rear isn't allowed to slow the engine. This is in very simple terms i hope it helps.
So no engine braking then? Engine braking is what I will need to slow the bike instead of the front brake. Pity. Or can the Sigma be adjusted to get the best balance?
Old 18-04-11, 01:33 PM   #6
SV650Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
So no engine braking then? Engine braking is what I will need to slow the bike instead of the front brake. Pity. Or can the Sigma be adjusted to get the best balance?
You do still get engine braking but the force of it wont be so violent. IMHO a slipper clutch on a tuned motor such as yours will also help the crank/rods as it takes the strain off vital components during downshifting, part of the reason we fit them to all our tuned SV motors. They are an item that is well worth having.
Old 18-04-11, 02:48 PM   #7
awkwardbydesign

Thanks Steve, I believe it was you who set up the suspension on my '93 Fireblade at Oulton a few years ago. I highsided it at the old Anglesey, which is why I am back on an SV! By the way, do you know if the Sigma clutches are still at risk from the excessive wear problem that was highlighted in the Sates a while back? I seem to remember Zoran found a fix, but I don't know if there was any acknowledgement of the problem from Sigma or Yoyodyne.
Old 18-04-11, 02:56 PM   #8
SV650Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
Thanks Steve, I believe it was you who set up the suspension on my '93 Fireblade at Oulton a few years ago. I highsided it at the old Anglesey, which is why I am back on an SV! By the way, do you know if the Sigma clutches are still at risk from the excessive wear problem that was highlighted in the Sates a while back? I seem to remember Zoran found a fix, but I don't know if there was any acknowledgement of the problem from Sigma or Yoyodyne.
No current issues. Steve helped them develop the new generation clutch which has been designed to run different ramp angle and springs and works brilliantly on the tuned SV motors. Only wear issues I have seen that were similar to what was reported were due to incorrectly adjusted push rods and pack heights. With a slipper clutch adjustment is very important and i advise to do it after each meeting.
Old 19-04-11, 02:33 PM   #9
awkwardbydesign

Ok, thanks.