SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-04-11, 07:03 PM   #21
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Questions about performance!

go here:

http://old.racetech.com/evalving/menu/searchstreet.asp

choose your bike, click the red writing, put your weight in make sure that you use the 'street' option. dont use the race option as it will make the front to stiff.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-11, 01:25 AM   #22
madmaxlp2002

Cools sit e but it inly goes to 08, My bike is an 09, dont know if that makes a difference. thx though cool site!
Old 18-04-11, 11:22 AM   #23
jambo
Mega Poster

1) You can ride in the rain
2) As stated it produces 70HP, a GSXR produces 100, you're not going to make up that difference with any number of bolt-on parts so best just to fit an exhaust for the noise and look if you feel like it.
3) People are unduely cruel about the sv suspension. It's really not as bad as people make out. I've lapped an R6 at brands hatch race circuit in the intermediate group on road tyres and a bog-standard bike. But there were plenty of supersport bikes coming past me too. It's all relative. There is no denying that you are heavier than the bike's suspension is sprung for though, so you might want to go for some stiffer springs in the front. The shock on the rear might be better sourced from another bike or new, as re-springing the standard shock doesn't seem to work out too well.

But most of all, enjoy the ride, enjoy the bike, and go at a pace you're happy with!
All the things you change are details. None of them will transform the bike into a GSXR, most of them will be for looks, noise or comfort, so get used to the bike and have fun

Jambo
Old 18-04-11, 01:56 PM   #24
madmaxlp2002

@ Jambo Finally a well thought out, non sarcastic asnswer. I really appreciate your honesty and knowledge. I think its funny when people are hell bent on being a critic of your every post. Some go as far as following all your posts and reply a one word useless answers. It is a refreshing to hear some one who is well versed, and educated enough to reply in a polite manner, I appreciate thx again.

Last edited by madmaxlp2002; 18-04-11 at 02:00 PM.
Old 18-04-11, 02:17 PM   #25
Steve_God
Mega Poster

Put simply, the SV doesn't have the raw power than an in-line 600 SuperSports bike (Eg, GSXR / R6 / etc...) will have, so if you're simply wanting more straight line power, then easiest thing is to buy a different bike.

That said, even completely standard, the SV will keep up with an R6 on a traffic light drag up to 80mph due to it's low down power and long wheelbase.
And once used to the bike's handing (waiting for the suspension to settle into a corner) with some decent soft tyres on, it can make any supersports bike struggle to keep up! (Due to it's lightness and longer wheelbase making cornering very easy!)

In short, it's a fab bike, and once it's been run-in, you'll get to make use of the power and get a nice big grin on your face while doing it!
SV650s; K6; Metallic Euclase Silver; Fully Faired; Renegade Twin Exhaust Full System (Stubbied); Full ECU Remap; Fabri Tinted DB Screen; Hamicad Fender Eliminater; Bagster Seat/Suzuki Gel Seat; Fenda Extenda; HEL Braided Brake Hoses; R&G Crash Bungs; GSXR Front-end, Triumph Daytona 675 Front Brake Master Cylinder; RedFox Rear Hugger; BMC F.1 Air Filter; Top Box!
Coastal Tours:Great Britain (for Cancer Research) - 3588.2 miles: Completed July 2007. Ireland - 1466 miles: Completed for July 2008
Steve_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-11, 03:13 PM   #26
awkwardbydesign

I spent money on suspension and brakes (Racetech front, 3 way Nitron rear, GSXR front calipers;you can get better pads for them, plus bigger rear sprocket), but the biggest improvement for me was doing some trackdays. However, it sounds as though you have enough riding experience anyway. At least you you should find it easier to keep the front down, I only weigh 136lbs. Lol!
Old 18-04-11, 07:19 PM   #27
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxlp2002 View Post
of course I couldnt ride today or even for the next few days because of the rain
Why ever not? Learn to ride confidently in the wet and it'll significantly improve your riding overall.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-11, 07:38 PM   #28
Lucas66

i had a sv650s curvy and when i went to scotland to see some mates i surprised them on it becuase i was right there with them and the bikes i was out with ranged from triumph daytona 675, mille, gsxr750, kawasaki 1400, sv 1000 r1, r6. I even shot passed one of them on a 2007 r6 going into bends and through them left him but came to a straight and he shot passed me so its all about cornering and corner speed any on ecan gp quick in a straight line
Old 18-04-11, 08:30 PM   #29
Berlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
2) As stated it produces 70HP, a GSXR produces 100, you're not going to make up that difference with any number of bolt-on parts so best just to fit an exhaust for the noise and look if you feel like it.
I'm the same weight as you madmax and I can lap faster on my SV than I could on my GSXR 600 race bike that produced 105bhp. Both had trick suspension so its a fair like for like performance comparison.

The GSXR might be quicker on the straights but that means they brake sooner and for longer and can't go round the corners as quickly as an SV.

C
Old 18-04-11, 08:35 PM   #30
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxlp2002 View Post
Question: what wrong with the one on there there are fully adjustable front and back, what am I missing here lol? Also how much would it cost ya think to replace the suspension ball park figures is fin?
Fully adjustable
Maybe compared to a tractor aye.

Ballpark in USD, depending how far you want to go.
Ideal setup, 750+ on shock, 2-300 on GSXR forks and revalve.
Good setup, 100 on shock swap, 250 or so on emulators and springs in front.

So, you haven't revved it above 5500 but you want more power? Try using what you've got first!