SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-02-18, 09:44 AM   #1
Tapemonkey

Default Factory Pro Velocity stacks

Hi All, here's a few pics if the mods I've made to the intake system of my 2006 SVS.

First was the usual tank raisers.

Next was swapping to a SV1000 airbox snorkal.

Next is the K&N air filter

Lastly the factory pro velicity stacks.

All together it gives a really nice angry, intake roar.

Initially I just removed the original snorkal and that was just loud.

The addition of the SV1000 snorkal gives a more aggressive 'tuned' sound if that makes sense.
Old 02-10-18, 08:41 AM   #2
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Factory Pro Velocity stacks

Interesting , thanks for posting

Have you noticed much of a difference?
Where did you buy them?
Old 02-10-18, 10:29 AM   #3
Craig380
Mega Poster

They're from Factory Pro in the US: http://www.factorypro.com/Prod_Pages...650,03-12.html

According to Factory Pro the 35mm & 70mm stack combination in Tapemonkey's pics give a power & torque boost (about 3bhp / 3ft-lb) in the mid-range, and a small increase at the top end without losing anything elsewhere.

There's a thread on SVRider at the moment about using the stock Suzuki stacks from the Gladius in the SV airbox. They fit straight in (ideally the holes in the SV airbox should be widened by a couple of mm but it's not essential).

I've got some curved Suzuki stacks from a 2010 V-Strom on the way to me and I'll be posting about them when I've got them fitted (hopefully this weekend). Only cost me £20 so worth having a play with.

In general, longer stacks are supposed to be better for mid-range (in the 4,000 - 7,000 rpm region) while shorter stacks are best for top-end power. The V-Strom stacks are about 75mm in length.

Last edited by Craig380; 02-10-18 at 10:31 AM.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-18, 12:18 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

RANT mode...

its all marketing american twaddle.

lets take the swingarm marker plates i used to make. everyone on this forum that had a pointy at the time and could afford them bought them without question as they knew the benefits. now take the same items and try to sell them on svrider.. none nada nobody wanted them... how strange.. the reason is that i never went into a bullcarp speech and sales pitch about how they gave 1000bhp due to having the chain aligned properly and that the chain would last longer than the bike. instead i told the truth. i sold 100's of pairs on this forum and never had one single return or complaint about them as they done the job they were designed to do but because i never mentioned that they did actually increase the BHP and increase chain life i sold none on svrider.... that tells you something my friends.

dont even get me started on those fekin TRE rip off things.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-18, 01:03 PM   #5
Craig380
Mega Poster

It's true that making sure the rear sprocket is aligned and the chain is properly lubed will free up more BHP than most intake / exhaust mods will make

It is interesting that the Gladius uses different-length stacks as standard, and the V-Strom has equal-length long stacks from the factory. Of course the Strom also has different cam profiles too, and the inlet is probably tweaked to suit, but I'll report back on how mine goes with the Strom stacks installed.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-18, 06:18 PM   #6
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
RANT mode...

lets take the swingarm marker plates i used to make. everyone on this forum that had a pointy at the time and could afford them bought them without question as they knew the benefits. now take the same items and try to sell them on svrider.. none nada nobody wanted them... how strange.. the reason is that i never went into a bullcarp speech and sales pitch about how they gave 1000bhp due to having the chain aligned properly and that the chain would last longer than the bike. instead i told the truth. i sold 100's of pairs on this forum and never had one single return or complaint about them as they done the job they were designed to do but because i never mentioned that they did actually increase the BHP and increase chain life i sold none on svrider.... that tells you something my friends.

+10.

The best two performance enhancers if you are carrying too much weight are Diet and Exercise.I'm still fighting to get/keep my weight down<grin>

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 02-10-18 at 06:25 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-18, 08:51 PM   #7
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Quote:
RANT mode...

Are you saying that changing the velocity stacks as described in the original post does not work?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-18, 10:23 AM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

no, i'm saying its all marketing clap trap to part you with your hard earned on something that might make a difference as there are far too many variables to say it will.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-18, 10:38 AM   #9
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
no, i'm saying its all marketing clap trap to part you with your hard earned on something that might make a difference as there are far too many variables to say it will.
Totally agree Bib.

Also is there such a thing as a,"Velocity Stack"?They are just metal tubes after all

Don't get me wrong.I like the sound they can induce and at some point might fit some for this reason but in the full knowledge that they may or may not change the performance of the engine for better or worse.

The fuel systems on Motorcycles were not designed on the back of a beer-mat but by highly paid,experienced and knowledgeable engineers using design and test equipment we can only dream off plus test tracks we will most likely never ride.

The system is a semi-enclosed cyclic one so any change to the Air-input may well affect the power band at different revs/loads and may need the adjustment or changing of other components to compensate to keep the optimal fuel-to-air ratio under varying conditions.

This is the same principle when I fitted a Slip-on exhaust end.I didn't do it for any changes in power and hoped I wouldn't have to adjust or change anything else.I did it for cosmetic reasons including that I wanted a louder exhaust.

Luckily I made a good choice and it didn't affect the fuel system at all.Power delivery is excellent and my Spark plugs have been a perfect,"Tan" colour for over a year since the swap.

My 10 penn'th
Old 04-10-18, 05:53 AM   #10
maviczap
Mega Poster

The only way to tell if these mods work, is to have the bike on a Dyno and see if they make any difference once fitted.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote