SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-04-07, 06:51 PM   #1
I'm_a_Newbie

Default Urgent Help Needed

Hi All.

I removed the exhaust today including the front pipe. One of the bolts snapped in the head. I drilled right through the bolt and then used a stud extractor. The stud extractor snapped and the bit left in the head is so hard my normall HSS drill bits won't even scratch the metal.

Please people have you any ideas. Are drill bits available that will drill through hard steel?

Will I have to remove the cylinder head and get this dealt with by a machine shop?

One idea I had was to use an Oxy Acetylene torch to melt it. Only problem with this is I dont have the equipment and will this melt the head first?

Heellllllllpppppppppp!

Thanks

Tim

Last edited by I'm_a_Newbie; 28-04-07 at 06:53 PM.
Old 28-04-07, 06:55 PM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Urgent Help Needed

Cobolt drills will get threw most stuff, but why were you trying to remove the stud?
Yes Acetylene will melt the head, but you can get the bolt spark eroded out, although you'll have to remve the head to get it done.

Hope that helps.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-07, 07:15 PM   #3
jonnygman

is it a curvy you have? if so its a nut on the front pipe if my mem serves correct M8 and a washer i hope you have not tried to drill the stud, recently changed mine had to crack the nut to get it off!!! welded it was they take a lot of battering
Old 28-04-07, 07:52 PM   #4
I'm_a_Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
Cobolt drills will get threw most stuff, but why were you trying to remove the stud?
On the Pointys it's a bolt not a stud and only about 3mm was protruding from the head.

Tim
Old 28-04-07, 07:56 PM   #5
jonnygman

good man thought you led yourself into a disaster there !!!
Old 28-04-07, 08:01 PM   #6
jonnygman

if it was me i would keep trying drill out the extractor that snapped soak the edges with WD leave it for a while its got to be welded in with all the heat then try another stud extractor you will get out eventually, i was on mine for near a whole day and i still did not get the bike buttoned back up till the next day i now also take the nuts off reg and grease them so it does not happen again
Old 28-04-07, 09:55 PM   #7
I'm_a_Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
Cobolt drills will get threw most stuff
I have ordered some cobalt drill bits from www.toolstation.com

My guess is these are only 5% cobalt which most seem to be. I can't find and 100% ones.

I have also sent an email to a local engineering firm that can carry out spark erosion. I only want to remove the head as a last resort though because of the extra cost.

Thanks

Tim.