SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-10-15, 05:56 PM   #1
supersimoncelli

Exclamation Sv650s Curvy Running Issue

Hi Guys, I have a slight issue with my bike in that it refuses to run right for longer than 30 seconds. I thought it was the plugs or the fuelling system so I looked and saw that these were okay so I then replaced the battery as it wasn't holding a decent charge and wasn't starting the bike in the morning requiring me to get a jump from the car battery. after replacing the battery the bike ran like a dream for 10 miles or so and is now as bad as ever. the symptoms are as follows.

the bike cuts out for a split second and then regains its self there is no pattern to this as I have spent a few hours on the bike trying to get it to consistently misfire. it only does this whilst the bike is in gear and on the move as I had it on the paddock stand and it idled away for 20 minutes or so with no issues. the bike also cuts out whilst un gear whilst I am stopped and I have to start the bike again from neutral then build the revs up to put it in gear almost like having to give the battery enough power to kep going under load. any help or advice is welcome as I am almost at my wits end with the bike as it was recently written off by a third party. thanks in advance
Old 26-10-15, 06:54 PM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Sv650s Curvy Running Issue

Check the sidestand switch and clutch switch

Check the main earth on the frame

Check to make sure the loom hasn't chafed on the subframe

Sounds electrical
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-15, 07:00 PM   #3
collis

Where are you located and what style is the bike (curvy or pointy)?
Old 26-10-15, 07:50 PM   #4
supersimoncelli

I am located in Scotland and the bike is curvy model 2000 on a W plate. and I have checked all the earths and fuses as well as the side stand switch and the clutch switch. so im pretty sure its the rectifier im just unsure if this is the only problem. I was hoping someone might have had similar problems before.
Old 27-10-15, 10:23 AM   #5
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Madly fluctuating voltage could cause electrical oddness. Take it you have checked voltages with multimeter?

Try fully charge the battery and disconnect the 3phase charging wires to the reg-rec... see if this runs normally. Obviously it won't for long as there will be no charge.

Rather than checking the sidestand switch etc.... actually bypass them at the fusebox including bypassing the cutout relay. Just 2 wires to join.

Won't be anything to do with the clutch switch as that only prevents starting.
Old 27-10-15, 06:01 PM   #6
Fen Tiger

I have had similar symptoms from poor connections at multi block connectors in the past. I was relieved to get things going well again by going through the loom cleaning the connectors. Hope you can find the source of the problem.
Fen Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-15, 06:01 PM   #7
Fen Tiger

I have had similar symptoms from poor connections at multi block connectors in the past. I was relieved to get things going well again by going through the loom cleaning the connectors. Hope you can find the source of the problem.
Fen Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-15, 07:34 PM   #8
supersimoncelli

I have fitted a rectifier and this hasn't cured the problem so I'm back to square one again
Old 27-10-15, 07:58 PM   #9
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen Tiger View Post
Then start checking the connections.

Start with tge big yellow ones in the fairing and also the green connector for the ignition under the tank
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-15, 08:48 PM   #10
collis

Try checking the main relay on the right side by the infil panel, could be the connector pins have worn out and broken giving a poor connection.