SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-06-16, 12:09 PM   #171
nutzboutbikes

Default Re: EU Referendum

I see the remain voters don't like democracy because they lost.
Old 25-06-16, 01:33 PM   #172
Bibio
Mega Poster

this referendum has to go through the commons and the lords so can still go either way. the 1979 devolution referendum of Scotland was a win but was revoked by parliament. with the numbers being very close and things maybe leading to a break up of the union the commons and lords might just do a u turn.

one good thing for Scotland to come out of this, if the £ drops even more or levels out where it is then tourism might just pick up due to better exchange rates.

scenario:
if it does go ahead i think the first to go will be Gibraltar closely followed by Northern Ireland and then by Scotland and i would say all 3 within the next 5 years will be independent from the UK. Scotland might just join Ireland to gain a currency and direct entry into the EU but this would mean being governed by Irish Parliament but still hold Holyrood much like things are with Westminster right now. yes i know it sounds like a silly idea and will never happen but you never know. desperate times need desperate measures.

if the above does happen then Westminster will disband the Welsh assembly and amalgamate Wales into England for future protection of its borders.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-16, 01:34 PM   #173
Balky001
Mega Poster

Is it just remain voters? Anyway, it was always going to happen. If the vote had been the other way the Brexiters would have cried foul, using pencils, rigging, corrupting voters, letting people register late.

What is sad to see are all the snipey comments set on dividing people, young and old, rich and poor, London & Scotland versus the rest of the UK, excluding those that don't think the same as them.

As for the petition, are we banning people raising petitions now? I'm pretty sure that is democracy, not the other way around, whether you feel it is sour grapes or not. Don't throw your rights away too quickly, this isn't North Korea. That said, I wont be signing it, the people have spoken and if they feel they were sold a lie then more fool them for reading headlines and not the facts behind them, but I respect the rights we do have.

We have a great opportunity to makes this work long term, I just hope we aren't like the Dutch football teams of past and fall apart in the quarter finals due to in-fighting and ego.
Old 25-06-16, 01:40 PM   #174
timwilky
Mega Poster

My employers (yanks) have said that whilst disappointed. Brexit will not make any difference to their plans. So still 500 jobs to go in the UK.

I live in the impoverished North. There is a real disconnected between the working man and the elite. Whether they be politicians, trade unionists, big business. I.e all those who are perceived as in it for themselves.

There is little sign locally that the EU ever has existed. Beyond the multitude of Eastern European languages you hear if you are fortunate enough to get an appointment at the doctors.

My local schools are oversubscribed with a huge influx of unplanned for migrants. EU migration has been out of control. Whilst the big cities have been able to absorb it. Small villages such as where I live do struggle when we get a couple of hundred. And no wonder the kids grumble about there being no social housing despite large estates being built in the 70s.

Those surprised by the result must have been really out of touch with the realities of modern life in today's Britain. High end jobs have been exported to low-cost Eastern Europe. Low end jobs are being undercut by migrants. Struggling families have realised we as a country are the second highest contributer to the EU and dont like we failing to look after out own.

To cap it all. Anyone who didn't agree with EU, is now getting the racist label on social media. Shame on those who don't like democracy in action
Old 25-06-16, 02:02 PM   #175
Balky001
Mega Poster

Totally agree Tim, between being called a traitor, racist, elitist or just plain old moron, it's an ugly time. Also banding people together through a demographic. Romford, London Borough of Havering, voted 70% exit (Basildon just up the road and large London workforce was over 70%)so I imagine it's not nice for them to hear the vitriol being shown towards all London being UK hating elitists. There's a shocking level of ignorance being shown on all sides
Old 25-06-16, 02:19 PM   #176
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Um well the people who are affected I feel sad for. But.
What is the direction forward!.
Get on
Get the MPs to do their job.
Get the government and it's minister's into gear and get a plan.
The longer they dilly dally the longer the markets get jumpy.

Uncomfortable as it my be neither side can say what they honestly knew what they were going to do.
Out of the EU doesn't have to be bad or good.
Having a government that had not got its act together is.
If you can't do it call a general election.
Stop pratting about.
Old 25-06-16, 02:35 PM   #177
Heorot

We can't have general election. We now have fixed 5 year parliaments.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-16, 02:39 PM   #178
Heorot

Bibio, you're deluded if you think Gibraltar will break away. They are virulently pro UK and with Spain still claiming the Rock, there is no way they will leave the umbrella of UK protection. Spain would likely do a Crimea on them.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-16, 02:46 PM   #179
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heorot View Post
We can't have general election. We now have fixed 5 year parliaments.
Can be varied if 55% of all members vote for the dissolution of parliament

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-16, 03:19 PM   #180
Bibio
Mega Poster

yes i do have a tin hat on and its double layered.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote