SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-01-16, 10:17 PM   #1
thulfi

Default Being shafted by insurance?

I would be very grateful for any help as I'm in a bit of a strange one here.

So a few months ago I was involved in an accident. Long story short, a young driver hit my passenger rear side with her driver front side as I was exiting a roundabout.

I rang BMW who referred me to accident exchange. They said they would take care of my claim, provide me with a courtesy car, etc provided the third party admitted liability (otherwise my own insurance would have to deal with it). I was put on hold whilst the lady from accident exchange apparently called the third parties insurers. She came back within 5 minutes saying they had accepted full liability. Happy days.

I take the car in to an approved garage shortly after, courtesy car given, car sorted in about a week.

I got my car back just before christmas. Now about 3 weeks later accident exchange have given me a call saying they are going to send me some forms and that I have to sketch out how the accident came about. What??!

I was under the impression this was all done and dusted. Now I'm getting this mumbo jumbo about the third party disputing liability.

I'm really not sure what to make of it or where I stand. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old 16-01-16, 06:48 AM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Being shafted by insurance?

If the third party have changed their mind, and are now disputing this, then this is normal.

just because initially they've admitted liability its not done and dusted. I bet she'd gone home and her dad or other half has told her to change her admission.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-16, 08:38 AM   #3
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Don't just sketch, use photos if it's safe to take some, or Google street view and aerial views showing where you were. Write a detailed report. Add arrows and boxes. I did all that after Stu got knocked off his bike on a roundabout. The van driver who had previously told a pack of lies about Stuart riding into his van for no apparent reason then changed his mind when our summary of what happened was submitted. It was obvious from the photos he must have straight lined the roundabout and changed his mind about which exit to take without checking mirrors.

Last edited by Littlepeahead; 16-01-16 at 08:39 AM.
Littlepeahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-16, 11:40 AM   #4
Fen Tiger

I had the same situation a few years ago. Without an independent witness or police accident report it will probably come down to meeting the cost half way. Frustrating, so I feel your pain. It would be interesting to know what version of events the other party are now alleging that negates the responsibility to give way when joining the roundabout. If you know that, it may be something which can be disproved.
Fen Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-16, 11:05 AM   #5
collis

I had similar where the driver accepted liability on the spot yet the insurance company ignored everything and then disputed the claim saying we had intentionally driven into someone who pulled out on us.
Eventually went to court and they accepted the claim as their fault.