SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-06-16, 12:29 PM   #1
NedSVS

Default It's over - Selling Up

My 15 year love affair with my SV, and 40+ years of motorcycling, has been on the rocks for a couple of years now but I know it must end - My body just isn't up to it any more and my heart isn't in it like it used to be. I'm, as they say, "no spring chicken" but my long term health problems have compounded with my age to make the SV650S riding position too uncomfortable for me now. Even more sadly there isn't a bike on the market that I would consider replacing the SV with - the Yamaha MT range comes closest but is out of my price league. Even sadder still is the enjoyment I get from motorcycling has gone down and down due to pot holed roads (and all the loose gravel that came out of them), massive increase in traffic and reduction in speed limits. In short the fun factor has gone! If anyone is interested, my rather special SV is up for sale:

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=223103
NedSVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-16, 01:29 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: It's over - Selling Up

move to the north of Scotland, fantastic empty roads and a chilled way of life

sad to see a biker hanging up their leathers

BTW the best thing i ever done was fit a comfort kit, totally transformed the SV.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-16, 01:54 PM   #3
NedSVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
move to the north of Scotland, fantastic empty roads and a chilled way of life

sad to see a biker hanging up their leathers

BTW the best thing i ever done was fit a comfort kit, totally transformed the SV.
Thanks Bibio, sadly if anything I need to move South as the cold only aggrevates my health problems.
Old 30-06-16, 06:20 PM   #4
Heorot

Consider the new naked SV650. I test rode it and loved it. Comfortable riding position and a delight to ride. My local dealer offered me £1000 trade in on my naked K3 bringing the cost of the new SV down to £4000. I was severely tempted.

I'll add that coming up to 68yo in September, I'm no spring chicken either.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver

Last edited by Heorot; 30-06-16 at 06:21 PM.
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-16, 06:34 PM   #5
NedSVS

I like the look of the new naked SV too, but it's still out of my price league. Basically I have only got what I can get for my curvy and not a lot more. I bet he offered you £1000 trade in for your K3! if it is in nice condition he will probably ask £2500+ for it. A dealer I use recently sold a K1 SV650S, quite low mileage, for £2200.
Old 30-06-16, 06:48 PM   #6
maviczap
Mega Poster

That's one hell of a nice curvy, like Bib says, a comfort kit would help, but probably not going to change your mind.

I'm not riding mine enough to justify having another curvy, even one as nice and sorted as yours.

GLWTS
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-16, 07:17 PM   #7
NedSVS

I agree that adding a comfort kit would help but I would also need to soften up the suspension for a plusher ride too, to get the level of comfort I now need.
Old 30-06-16, 07:20 PM   #8
maviczap
Mega Poster

Gel Seat?

Mines comfortable for all day rides with the seat I have. But my suspension (GSXR front & Hagon rear shock) is good enough for loony track days

Just a thought
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-16, 07:29 PM   #9
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

I thought that after my foot op, then I bought the GS and it's so comfortable and gravel in moderation no longer bothers me. Admittedly I haven't ridden yet this year but that's more to do with bad weather and being busy on other stuff.

Now I'm facing another operation but I've put it off until October so I can make the most of summer if it ever arrives. 3 months on crutches won't be fun.

Maybe the right bike would help you enjoy riding again.
Old 01-07-16, 12:12 PM   #10
NedSVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Gel Seat?

Mines comfortable for all day rides with the seat I have. But my suspension (GSXR front & Hagon rear shock) is good enough for loony track days

Just a thought
The Maxton suspension could be fitted with softer springs and along with a comfort kit it may be more bearable, but I'm not sure I'm up for spending more when I don't enjoy motorcycling like I used to. As it is, my SV is the perfect trackday tool - if only I had the money to go on them! I retired early due to my health problems and don't have a great pension. I have done a few in the past and mostly enjoyed them but then had a run of bad luck with the weather.