SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-05-06, 11:55 AM   #1
DanAbnormal

Default No Claims Bonus.

Can someone explain what this means?

I thtouhg I knew it but after speaking with my insurance company I am baffled.

Basically it goes like this:

I have not claimed since Jan 2004 but have always had a bike and insurance. BUT.......I have never had a policy for longer than one year (or a bike for that matter). I guess tis means I still have zero NCB?

Dan
Old 31-05-06, 12:05 PM   #2
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

As long as you have not claimed or that someone else has not claimed against you & that your policy has run its full term (eg. a term can be 12months or shorter for some policies) = 1 yr no claims.

If within your policy term you cancel after x months and not fufilling the full term then you effectivly loose your NCB for that year/term.

If however you have 1 bike for 5 months then change to another but just pay the insurance co for a change to the policy for the rest of the year/term then it can depend on the terms of the insurance company.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-06, 12:14 PM   #3
mysteryjimbo

Thats the crux of it. You have to complete the full term of the policy to gain the NCB. Cancelling a policy and restarting on a new one means you have to start all over.
Old 31-05-06, 12:50 PM   #4
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryjimbo
Thats the crux of it. You have to complete the full term of the policy to gain the NCB. Cancelling a policy and restarting on a new one means you have to start all over.
On the subject - How long does NCB last? I have built up maximium on car, but since moving to London and getting a bike, I haven't insured a car for about 4 years?
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-06, 12:59 PM   #5
Fizzy Fish

NCB usually expires after 2-3 years without a car. However you may be lucky and be able to convince someone to allow you to use your bike NCB for your car - we did this once, although I'm not sure that you're supposed to be able to!!
Old 31-05-06, 12:59 PM   #6
mysteryjimbo

I think you "may" be out of luck. I've a feeling its somewhere between 3 and 5 years.
Old 31-05-06, 01:01 PM   #7
Fizzy Fish

Default Re: No Claims Bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_dan

I have not claimed since Jan 2004 but have always had a bike and insurance. BUT.......I have never had a policy for longer than one year (or a bike for that matter). I guess tis means I still have zero NCB?

Dan
For each policy that you've had a full year's cover you are entitled to a year's NCB. I the past I've just called my previous insurer and asked them to send a letter showing this, which I then send to my new insurer as proof (if they want it)
Old 31-05-06, 01:05 PM   #8
Viney
Mega Poster

Your NCB expires after 2 years.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-06, 01:23 PM   #9
DanAbnormal

Thanks guys. In fact I just realised that I have one years NCB which I have for my GN250 which has been sat in my garden rotting for the last 6 months!

Yahoo!
Old 31-05-06, 02:21 PM   #10
tomjones2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_dan
Thanks guys. In fact I just realised that I have one years NCB which I have for my GN250 which has been sat in my garden rotting for the last 6 months!

Yahoo!
Its the first year you really want, you get the biggest discount to start with and the the increase in the discount goes down progressively until you hit the maximum ncb.