SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-11-08, 05:31 PM   #1
onetwomany

Default 33bhp restrictor kit

Heyas

I'm new enough round the forum, only got the bike last week ('99 Curvy 650) and she was running amazing!!! Until I gave her over to Dr. Death to put a restrictor kit in and completely crippled the bike I was almost crying the whole way home

Anyway, I got a chance to push the bike as much as I could with the restrictor and it's driving worse than my first bike (a 125 marauder!!!) ffs like... I'm wondering if somethings gone arseways with this. It sounds like it's running a lot rougher (it's a lot louder, more vibration from the engine, presumed it was just the way the kit would affect it) but when the bike topped out at 50mph I reckoned something's amiss. I was expecting the bike to be a lot slower, naturally, but when I got beaten off the lights by a feckin VESPA I was ready to get off the bike and walk home.

Can someone tell me what the story is with this, what kind of power/speed should I be getting out of it etc... The mechanic who did it is a sound enough guy and don't want to go back bitchin to him if this is normal. I was expecting a bit more power/top speed out of this thing though (hell it doesn't even have enough power to get into 6th! - also my rev counter is bolloxed so can't tell what rpm im getting sorry)...

Cheers
Old 08-11-08, 05:35 PM   #2
Dangerous Dave

Default Re: 33bhp restrictor kit

What type of restrictor kit is fitted, F1 or the Suzuki one? Did it run ok for a while or has it been crap from the very beginning?

You'll get close to 100mph on a restricted bike, it feels strangled at high revs but until you ride full power you won't fully see.
Old 08-11-08, 05:50 PM   #3
onetwomany

Nope, bike was running (near) perfect from day one. (needs new tires and couple other things, last guy had it sittin up for ages, but the bike was running fine, had it up to bout 90mph in 5th! on the motorway before I lost my bottle lol.

Kit is FI, 2 washers on the carbs. Wondering if the viper can will make much(any) difference? Just reading on another thread here bout it and shouldnt make much difference. I'm feeling like I really got screwed over on this...
Old 08-11-08, 05:55 PM   #4
Dangerous Dave

A slip-on can will make no difference to the running of the engine.

Is it close to having or recently been serviced?

The things to check, obviously if it very cold then carb icing will start to creep in and if it is wet the front plug will start to get attacked by water. Does if feel or sound like it is running on one cylinder? The carbs may need balancing, or they may need to be fitted properly if they have come loose and broken the seal.
Old 08-11-08, 05:55 PM   #5
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

You've been f###ed. Hope they used lube.

Naked restricted will still indicate 95mph!

I would bet they haven't seated the carbs fully on top of the washers.
Old 08-11-08, 06:00 PM   #6
onetwomany

I'd have a look at that Dave but to put it like this...it was running fine at full power on Friday morning (had been serviced a couple months ago and sitting in a garage mostly since then, so I'm told), left it with yer man to restrict it, bang, I'm driving a pregnant hippo home. Cheers chris. yeh I reckon I'll be going back to give yer man a bollockin on monday morning. thanks.
Old 08-11-08, 06:01 PM   #7
Alpinestarhero

My faired sv, restricted, hit 105 mph on several occasions. Granted, no power above 8000 rpm, but it was still pretty alright.

The knackered rev counter indicates a problem with the front cylinder - start there methinks
Old 08-11-08, 06:02 PM   #8
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
they may need to be fitted properly if they have come loose and broken the seal.
This should be the problem, but I would double check the front spark plug also.
Old 08-11-08, 06:05 PM   #9
onetwomany

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
My faired sv, restricted, hit 105 mph on several occasions. Granted, no power above 8000 rpm, but it was still pretty alright.

The knackered rev counter indicates a problem with the front cylinder - start there methinks
The clock was a bit dodgy before, there was a loose connection somewhere that made it keep comin on n then knocking off. wasnt affecting the engine, jsut didnt have time to go track down the problem. Since yer man had it, the speedo is working, rev counter is dead and the fuel light keeps flashing. I knew I'd regret restricting it, but it seems I'm regretting it for a whole new reason now :/

So whats the story with the front cylinder and th erev counter, I'm really not great when it comes to the workins of the bike so if you could elaborate a bit I'd appreciate it thanks
Old 08-11-08, 06:11 PM   #10
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Front cylinder coil is connected to the rev counter.

When it came on and knocked off did that affect the motor?