SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-11-09, 04:12 PM   #1
Fizzy Fish

Default Freshening up a high-ish mileage bike

OK, so I do really like my Gixxer (600 K6), but it's just turning 30K miles*, which has got me thinking about what to do next bike-wise.

One option would be to sell it and get the same model but a very low mileage immaculate example. I reckon this would cost me c. £1500.

Alternatively I could have a look round at other low mileage second hand options for around the £5K mark (e.g. CBR600RR, Daytona 675, Mille, SuperDuke), though I'm not desperate for a change.

However I've also been wandering whether I should hang onto it and rather spend the money on some TLC to make it feel/look new again (it has been well cared for re servicing, etc but has seen a lot of winter miles), plus maybe tart it up a bit (can, paint scheme, etc).

So do you think it's worth hanging onto?

And if so, what would you spend the money on to a) trick it up a bit and b) make it feel nice and new again?

Would be interested to hear what the mighty org has to say!
Old 01-11-09, 04:38 PM   #2
sv-robo

Default Re: Freshening up a high-ish mileage bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzy Fish View Post

And if so, what would you spend the money on to a) trick it up a bit and b) make it feel nice and new again?

Would be interested to hear what the mighty org has to say!
Does it have any mods atm?

Also looking on autotrader you can get a top quality 600rr for 3.5k/4k,just a few years old and around 6/15k miles....hth.
Old 01-11-09, 04:48 PM   #3
lee67

lmao...30k is nothing..too many bikers listen to dealers sucking there teeth...i do 20-25k every year!!..and had plenty of bikes with well over 60000 miles on, with non needing major work, if there serviced reg esp oil/filter changes, most bikes will get to 100,000 ..id say keep it and enjoy
Old 01-11-09, 04:57 PM   #4
Dave20046
Mega Poster

I bet it's high mileage for a gixxer though.
I'd definitely get test rides on the other bikes you're considering before selling a bike you like. My gut feeling would be you'd lose more money on tarting it up and using it for another year or two but if you plan to hang onto it for a fair while it may even out.
Old 01-11-09, 05:03 PM   #5
speedplay

When I was talking to you about it , your only real complaint was the paint finish quality.
If its been well looked after and regularly serviced, mechanically it will be fine.

Get her stripped down of all the plastics and tank etc and treat her to a new paint job (no, not burberry before you get excited )

If you buy a second hand bike(even the same year/model) you do take your chances on what your getting as not everyone will tell you the bikes little traits.
Old 01-11-09, 05:18 PM   #6
sv-robo

Lol @ the Bumpkin avatar.....sorry back on topic
Old 01-11-09, 05:20 PM   #7
thefallenangel

tart her up with a fork oil change, perhaps tinted screen and a can which if your cheap won't cost much. But just ride th ebloody thing.
Old 01-11-09, 05:31 PM   #8
Fizzy Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv-robo View Post
Does it have any mods atm?
No mods to speak of, just a few essentials such as tail tidy, alarm & crash bungs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee67 View Post
lmao...30k is nothing..too many bikers listen to dealers sucking there teeth...i do 20-25k every year!!..and had plenty of bikes with well over 60000 miles on, with non needing major work, if there serviced reg esp oil/filter changes, most bikes will get to 100,000 ..id say keep it and enjoy
I also do a fair number of miles (10-15K pa), so I'm not that fussed by the mileage alone. I am a bit concerned though that I'll never be able to sell it if I keep it for too much longer, and am also wandering whether things will increasingly start to go wrong/feel tired.

Out of interest, what were the high mileage bikes that you've had?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
I bet it's high mileage for a gixxer though.
Absolutely! Think they average about 3K miles pa. It makes it harder to persuade someone to buy a higher mileage one like mine, but on the plus side it is pretty easy to find a minter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedplay View Post
When I was talking to you about it , your only real complaint was the paint finish quality.
If its been well looked after and regularly serviced, mechanically it will be fine.

Get her stripped down of all the plastics and tank etc and treat her to a new paint job (no, not burberry before you get excited )

If you buy a second hand bike(even the same year/model) you do take your chances on what your getting as not everyone will tell you the bikes little traits.
What I can't have burberry? Well it's just not worth keeping then! Actually I really like the Relentless rep, have seen one in white too which was very lovely!

I'd be more reluctant to change it for a mid mileage bike, but my thinking is that if barely used (say c.2K miles) there's little that can go wrong - it's more checking that it isn't crashed/stolen/etc.
Old 01-11-09, 05:40 PM   #9
Fizzy Fish

This is a link to the white relentless rep...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/size_uk...n/photostream/

Old 01-11-09, 05:42 PM   #10
speedplay

looks naff...

If your going to do the miles that your doing now with your next bike, youll be looking to change again in about 2 years anyway.

At least you know that the bike you have now has no issues and has been looked after.

Last edited by speedplay; 01-11-09 at 05:44 PM.