SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-01-12, 01:04 PM   #1
Scythe92

Default Servicing query

Hi, my bike was last serviced at 11500 miles. It's now on 15900, or 16900 (I can't remember as I'm at uni and the bike is at home).

Anyway, a garage serviced it as I wasn't comfortable doing the valve clearances, so I don't quite know what was replaced. All I do know that oil and the filter and plugs was changed.

Now, I'm looking at doing a bike service myself. Brake fluids were replaced about 6 months ago.

Looking at doing
  • Air filter (K&N or other aftermarket one - will I need to rejet? I will be putting a slip on on it too)
  • Derestricting the bike whilst the air filter is off (restriction expires by then)
  • New oil
  • Oil filter (Mahle or another make?)
  • Coolant (what type?)
  • Fitting my Blueflame slip on back on.
  • New front pads

Is there anything I need to be aware of?

I will be buying all the stuff from Opie Oils, if anyone knows of a cheaper place, please let me know, I'm looking at about £40 for everything (already have pads).

I know not everything is due to be replaced yet, but I thought it won't do harm to replace it all in one whole sweep. I like to know what my bike is running on, and when it was fitted.

Thanks

Last edited by Scythe92; 14-01-12 at 01:09 PM.
Old 14-01-12, 03:00 PM   #2
BBadger

Default Re: Servicing query

looks like youve got everything covered though.
before buying the air filter check out the web as ive seen standard ones that are washable...alot cheaper than k&N aswell

Last edited by BBadger; 14-01-12 at 03:02 PM.
Old 14-01-12, 04:01 PM   #3
tom-k6

sure the valve clearances get checked around 15000, but they should be fine anyway, think you will need to re-jet with the air filter and the slip on but try it first just to see,
Old 14-01-12, 04:15 PM   #4
SV Mad

Last time I got oil it was £34.99 for 4 ltrs. I think you might be mis-calculating the cost of the parts if you think you can get it all for £40. Opie Oils is ok though. A search on ebay might get you some parts cheap and Wemoto is always good.
Old 14-01-12, 04:26 PM   #5
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Mad View Post
Last time I got oil it was £34.99 for 4 ltrs. I think you might be mis-calculating the cost of the parts if you think you can get it all for £40. Opie Oils is ok though. A search on ebay might get you some parts cheap and Wemoto is always good.
F***inell!

Last lot of oil I got I was selling on for £4/l. It has almost certainly gone up a bit since but not that much.
Old 14-01-12, 06:15 PM   #6
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Scythe, if you want some standard fitment sv pads (EBC HH sintered) I have a set from my pointy (chris/anyone can you let us know if they're interchangeable - I forget?). They are brand new in their packet still with price tags on as I never fitted them - let me know if you're interested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Mad View Post
Last bit of putoline I got was under £20 for 4l , although it was a fair few months ago.

edit: ****e just seen you already have the pads!
Old 14-01-12, 06:21 PM   #7
Scythe92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Scythe, if you want some standard fitment sv pads (EBC HH sintered) I have a set from my pointy (chris/anyone can you let us know if they're interchangeable - I forget?). They are brand new in their packet still with price tags on as I never fitted them - let me know if you're interested.

Last bit of putoline I got was under £20 for 4l , although it was a fair few months ago.

edit: ****e just seen you already have the pads!
I got given some new packaged EBC HH sintereds actually, thanks anyway though.

I have one litre of Castrol unopened in my garage, and was only going to buy two litres of V-twin specific oil. Is it ok to mix oils brands as long as they are the same grade and viscosity?
Old 14-01-12, 06:24 PM   #8
Dave20046
Mega Poster

No worries, they're good pads - see if you notice a difference.

I'd say so, but wait for someone big & clever if you're worried.
Old 14-01-12, 06:43 PM   #9
Scythe92

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom-k6 View Post
sure the valve clearances get checked around 15000, but they should be fine anyway, think you will need to re-jet with the air filter and the slip on but try it first just to see,
I had this done early at 12000 or so, they were fine
Old 14-01-12, 07:03 PM   #10
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe92 View Post
I got given some new packaged EBC HH sintereds actually, thanks anyway though.

I have one litre of Castrol unopened in my garage, and was only going to buy two litres of V-twin specific oil. Is it ok to mix oils brands as long as they are the same grade and viscosity?
Yeah it's OK to mix, but there's no such thing as V twin specific oil worth mentioning, just get bike oil.

P.S Pads are same between pointy and curvy at front, rear are different.

P.P.S I am neither big nor clever