SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-08-08, 12:13 AM   #1
Feldspar

Default SV650 speedo in km, problem?

Hey, just passed my test on Wednesday, trained on a Kawasaki ER-5 which is a twin I believe. Have tested an SV650S 2002 and liked it but wasn't keen on the riding position. Fancy a naked, have sat on a couple and prefer the position. So, seen a couple for sale, a 2000 and a 2001, but both have km clocks not mph. Is there any problem with this? Are they all legal? Imports? I realise I'd have to mark 'em with equivalent mph's to help me ride at the speed limit through town etc but apart from that, anything I should worry about? Will insurance be a problem? Can I just buy an mph clock and replace it or is the speedo cable/gearing drive/ratios or whatever all different?

The other question is, I've watched some YouTube stuff and read up on buying second hand bikes and they all say that if they're scratched on the can and bar-ends, etc, they've been dropped and you should avoid the bike like the plague. But really in the 600 newly-DAS'd range, a lot of bikes will have been spilled at least once, and probably at 5mph on the driveway too no doubt. If you ride the bike and it seems fine, looks straight and the scratches seem cosmetic only; safe to proceed you think? I realise it's a bit vague but what's the general advice?

Well thanks, I'm itching to get out on one and I really think the SV650 naked is for me, I don't have loads of cash but I reckon for £1500-ish I should be able to get myself something, and soon, like tomorrow hopefully or latest next weekend.

Any help, greatfully appreciated - cheers.

Also, I did search the forum for "speedo + km" and variants thereof before I posted but couldn't find this specific question. Hope I'm not re-asking as I know how furious people can get about that...
Old 17-08-08, 12:51 AM   #2
woodz61

Default Re: SV650 speedo in km, problem?

You can get a UK spec SV for less than £1500.

Shop about. They are some really good bargains out there. For your budget your looking at the curvy which is the sexier shape.

Don't get an import when you can get a UK spec for similar price.
Old 17-08-08, 01:00 AM   #3
Feldspar

So the clock being in km definitely means it's an import then? I thunk so... Does that mean other things on the bike will be different too? Substantially so? Any reference sites I can look at to see?

Also, I've been looking on eBay and generally on google to various sites from there and can't find many SV650 "naked" bikes sub-£1500. Know of any other good places to go searching?

Thanks as always for any help. Moocharse grassyarse.
Old 17-08-08, 01:09 AM   #4
woodz61

The headlights are likely to be different for curvy faired.

UK spec both headlights on dip beam and full beam

Import one headlight for dip beam, both for full beam.

Curvy naked not much difference except possibly the light switch. Some imports always have dipped beam on i.e you cant turn off the lights.

Personally I would go for the curvy faired. Beautiful bikes and when it comes to resale will get a higher price.
Old 17-08-08, 01:21 AM   #5
Feldspar

Thanks for the replies, you're a night owl too huh...

I took an SV650S for a spin and my wrists have seen some hard action over the years and it wasn't that comfy for me as I was leaning forward too much. I've ridden a Yam YBR-125 for six months while learning and took my DAS on a Kwak ER-5 - both are sit up and beg, i.e. most/all the weight on your pelvis. So, I really want the naked while knowing what it will lack versus a faired version and understanding the difference in price and re-sale value. But still, that's what I want...for now.

I was reading on this forum about carb heaters being fitted to UK models as standard but not on some imports, i.e. non-North European. I guess I need to investigate that more and get some pictures so I know what to look for.

Unfortunately my main driving force is moolah, I simply can't afford much more over £1500 as I'm hoping to sell my Yam YBR-125 2007 1,000 miles for £1200-ish and then only have to bung £200 or £300 on the new bike. The naked's are generally cheaper, and I'm guessing the import status (as denoted by the km clocks) probably knocks a little off too. I'll keep looking though, it's all good info.

Cheers once again.
Old 17-08-08, 01:32 AM   #6
woodz61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feldspar View Post
Thanks for the replies, you're a night owl too huh...

I took an SV650S for a spin and my wrists have seen some hard action over the years and it wasn't that comfy for me as I was leaning forward too much. I've ridden a Yam YBR-125 for six months while learning and took my DAS on a Kwak ER-5 - both are sit up and beg, i.e. most/all the weight on your pelvis. So, I really want the naked while knowing what it will lack versus a faired version and understanding the difference in price and re-sale value. But still, that's what I want...for now.

I was reading on this forum about carb heaters being fitted to UK models as standard but not on some imports, i.e. non-North European. I guess I need to investigate that more and get some pictures so I know what to look for.

Unfortunately my main driving force is moolah, I simply can't afford much more over £1500 as I'm hoping to sell my Yam YBR-125 2007 1,000 miles for £1200-ish and then only have to bung £200 or £300 on the new bike. The naked's are generally cheaper, and I'm guessing the import status (as denoted by the km clocks) probably knocks a little off too. I'll keep looking though, it's all good info.

Cheers once again.
A night owl yep! And got to be at Castle Coombe Racetrack for 8am!

Bugger forgot to mention the carb heaters!!!!
UK spec has carb heaters. I have not come across an import yet that has carb heaters. If your only going to use the bike as a plaything on hot sunny days import will be ok. However if you are a "true" biker all weathers etc then definately get UK model. The clocks can be changed to uk spec with a convertor but you have the hassle of the odometer not being correct. Another note; Some insurance companies don't like dealing with imports.
Old 17-08-08, 01:34 AM   #7
woodz61

P.S - R.E Aching wrists

Use your knees to grip the tank and you don't need to put any weight on your wrists.

.............Or just get really fat and lean on your stomach?
Old 17-08-08, 02:07 AM   #8
Feldspar

Lol, I will start eating pie forthwith.
Broke one wrist a while ago, and have sprained the other countless times and they've always been a bit girly ever since. I'm a musician and a 'pooter thumper so already have problems, especially in this manky damp country. But I hear ya, and that SV650S was a lot of fun to ride. Had a big silly grin after only a few minutes round the block, took it out in a 40mph but probably had it up to 60mph+ without realising it, just opened it up in 2nd and 3rd, loverly, obviously it's got a bit more poke than my YBR (cough).

So, fair enough, I'll keep my mind open and look at both faired and nekid.

As for fair-weather biking, I don't know what that is, I ride my 125 to work every day regardless of weather, (since Nov last year), and have been soaked through regularly. Twice this last week after going out in sunny weather only to hit a hail-storm five minutes out, without me' waterproofs...bugger. So that's good advice. I want to ride all year 'round, barring snow and ice, and having read the carb heater forum posts, I see an import won't do, unless they've been fitted of course.

Use caffeine or speed to help you get up for the 8am appointment and enjoy your day.

Cheers.
Old 17-08-08, 10:14 AM   #9
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Import or UK really matters very little when you get to 7-9 year old bikes.The speedo needs an inlay to show the important bits,the headlight should dip left or it should have failed four MOTs by now,and the carb heaters are quite useless so it doesnt matter if they are not fitted.Buy on condition,and maybe get a few quid knocked off if its an import.