SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-03-07, 05:07 PM   #1
jonnygman

Default sv650sy / micron exhaust

Hi there im new to the forum i would like to ask anyone who knows if you need to re jet your carbs after putting on a full micron exhaust bike seems to be running fine but im not sure if i dont change the jets if it will do damage
Old 26-03-07, 05:11 PM   #2
hovis

Default Re: sv650sy / micron exhaust

no it will be ok

wlcome to the madhouse
Old 26-03-07, 05:22 PM   #3
jambo
Mega Poster

Micron do several types of system, for a slip on can I wouldn't bother but I can't seem to find details of the full systems they do for the SV. A dyno run with Air / Fuel sensor would only be about 20-30 quid anyway. Hopefully someone else knows the score better than me.

Edit: http://news.micronexhaust.com/newproducts.php/22 While this is a full system for a K3 onwards, it doesn't say "no need to re-map" which is common if this is the case, Was it fitted by a garage or yourself?

Last edited by jambo; 26-03-07 at 05:27 PM.
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-07, 05:28 PM   #4
jonnygman

cheers lads looks like a good site you have here thanks for the advice
Old 26-03-07, 05:35 PM   #5
jonnygman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Micron do several types of system, for a slip on can I wouldn't bother but I can't seem to find details of the full systems they do for the SV. A dyno run with Air / Fuel sensor would only be about 20-30 quid anyway. Hopefully someone else knows the score better than me.

Edit: http://news.micronexhaust.com/newproducts.php/22 While this is a full system for a K3 onwards, it doesn't say "no need to re-map" which is common if this is the case, Was it fitted by a garage or yourself?
i fitted it myself on to a 2000 plate sv650s as i said seems to be goin ok
Old 26-03-07, 07:20 PM   #6
rictus01
Mega Poster

Normally a full system will get you a few more ponies, as it is less restrictive, In order to gain this advantage, you will need to change the air filter, with both of these changed, retaining standard jets will lead to a weaker mixture and the topend being hotter.

In short, if you haven't changed the air filter, you're not going to get the full benefit from it, and if you have, you'll need to re-jet before you do any harm.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-07, 08:11 PM   #7
jonnygman

i have changed the filter to a bmc filter how will i know if its running lean
Old 26-03-07, 08:45 PM   #8
rictus01
Mega Poster

Just as a matter of interest, which BMC filter the Race or RS race ?
As you've made the air flow greater but kept the fuel flow the same (standard jets) it will now be running lean (greater volume of air to fuel).

the plugs will be whiter and the engine topend hotter (good pictorial guide on the back of most of the haynes manuals), or in the longer term it'll destroy itself, both will tell you.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-07, 10:31 PM   #9
jonnygman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
Just as a matter of interest, which BMC filter the Race or RS race ?
As you've made the air flow greater but kept the fuel flow the same (standard jets) it will now be running lean (greater volume of air to fuel).

the plugs will be whiter and the engine topend hotter (good pictorial guide on the back of most of the haynes manuals), or in the longer term it'll destroy itself, both will tell you.

Cheers Mark.
i fitted the race bmc filter the only thing is i am now unsure if the pipes are race or just the replacement type with the micron can (no baffles) on the back, the bike revs freely all the way up to the top off the rev range no flat spots and it pulls very well
Old 26-03-07, 10:35 PM   #10
svrash

I'm running 160s with my micron system and BMC race RS