SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-04-19, 01:14 PM   #1
aesmith

Default Tyres - "Pilot Road 4" or new "Road 5"?

Hi,
I've been using Michelin PR4s for a while and am quite happy with them. Now I will need a new front in the next few weeks, so I'm wondering if I should go for the same or try the new Road 5.

So a couple of questions, firstly do people think they're an improvement, and secondly would it be OK fitting just the front? Or should I go for PR4 just now, then change the back to a 5 when that needs doing which I hope won't be before November.

Thanks, Tony S
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-19, 07:20 PM   #2
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Tyres - "Pilot Road 4" or new "Road 5"?

Seeker has good things to say about grip and wear on Avon Storm 3D, and you get 9mm of tread...

Even though they were expensive I used to use Michelin car tyres when I was doing 25,000+ miles a year simply for the longer life, but I knew they were a bit light on grip as I could spin wheels just pulling away normally if slightest bit damp, and wet braking would give the ABS a good workout as well..... when I stopped doing large mileage I switched to Avon ZV7, and level of grip is much higher, and they seem to be wearing well. Even very heavy braking in heavy rain the ABS hardly wakes up. As a bonus the Avons are a fair bit cheaper than Michelins as well.

Have not tried storm 3D motorbike tyres yet, but will when present shoes wear out.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 19-04-19 at 07:24 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-19, 07:03 AM   #3
Seeker
Mega Poster

I have about 11500 miles on my Avon Storm 3D X-M tyres so far, the rear has 3-4mm of tread left on the centre (more on the outsides so it has squared off a bit) but the front will need replacing in about 2000 miles. My first MOT is due in June, so I'll change it before then. Whether the faster wear rate on the front is caused by me stupidly ordering the wrong profile (a "60" instead of a "70") I can't say. Suffice it to say I have now read the manual

Not had any problems with grip but I only ride in the rain if I don't check the forecast (so: rarely). Truthfully, the main reason I bought Avons was because I thought they were British. They are made in the UK but are US owned, still it does keep a Brit in a job.

I guess the above doesn't answer your question (sorry). I prefer to keep tyres matched but have had no problems with a Chinese tyre on the back and a German one on the front before. If I was intending on staying with Michelin, I'd switch to the 5 now and change the rear to a 5 when needed.

Here's a US comparison between the PR4 and Road5
https://www.webbikeworld.com/micheli...-long-lasting/

Last edited by Seeker; 20-04-19 at 07:12 AM.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-19, 07:44 AM   #4
aesmith

Thanks guys. I should maybe have said that I ride exclusively for commuting, so grip in wet and cold conditions is important. I still have to go to work if it's raining. I tried Metzler a few years ago and their wet grip was appalling.

Also long life, since I do around 12,000 per year. With the PR4 it seems like the front wears out in a year, but the back lasts around 18 months which is the complete opposite of my previous bike where the rear wore quicker.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-19, 09:08 AM   #5
shiftin_gear98

Double post.

Last edited by shiftin_gear98; 20-04-19 at 02:53 PM.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-19, 09:11 AM   #6
shiftin_gear98

I have pr4s too and do similar mileage too. However my front lasts about the year, but my rear is toast after 6 months. Interesting that your rear lasts longer than the front.

As to should you go for 5s, up to you. You won't know if you don't try. If it was me I'd hope the 4s would be a little cheaper now. My rear needs changing next month.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-19, 08:07 PM   #7
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
My rear needs changing next month.

Fnaar, fnaar!
garynortheast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-19, 11:15 PM   #8
zsv650s

Surprised nobody likes the metzelers my sv1000 came with them haven't had any problems won't be fitting another set probably go for some conti attacks next time.
zsv650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-19, 09:28 AM   #9
embee
Mega Poster

FWIW I have run PR4 tyres on my NC700 for a while, and generally like them a lot. They feel very "neutral", and the feel only starts to go off when the front gets quite low. I've found the wear on the rear varies a bit from tyre to tyre, this last one is wearing significantly better (not cupping) than the previous one did.
I've just fitted a new R5 to the front. Hard to remember what a new PR4 was like but I can say that the R5 feels to absorb coarse surfaces better and it doesn't seem to scrub on the road as much making slow riding very much easier, it needs almost no rider input at walking speed feet-up, it just steers itself. As said, hard to remember what the new PR4 was like but I don't remember thinking the same when having a new one on it.
I still have a couple of thou miles left on the rear PR4 but have a new R5 waiting to go on, and I expect it to be a fine tyre. The R5 is a much more "solid" type design of block compared to the PR4, which has a lot of slit type sipes so potentially the blocks might be more flexible than the R5.
As said by others, the pricing now makes the PR4 a great value for money tyre, but if you can justify the extra then I'd say go R5. I don't know what the lifetime is like yet.
Old 21-04-19, 09:49 AM   #10
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...19#post3101819
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote