SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Guildford Massive For the Guildford Guys N Girls.

Old 31-05-07, 09:16 PM   #1
DanAbnormal

Default I'm back and I survived Nurburgring!

Well.........what a trip.

In summary:

My first lap: I did in the pouring rain which was 'interesting', bike was all over the place yet I loved it. Back end was everywhere, still managed a few wheelies and kneedowns though. Riding smoothly was crucial here.............so my **** end was all over the place but soooo much fun!

My first off:
Riding on the road (not the track) again still raining hard. Approaching a junction where a car pulled out at the last possible second. I braked and locked up and clipped my mates bike which sent me and bike down slamming into the tarmac and then sliding into a ditch. Mates bike okay (he has ABS the swine) my bike has dented tank, scratched engine casing and plastics. Nothing too major. Torn muscle in my shoulder which is agonising and some loss of skin on elbow. Jacket is totalled.

Mt 2nd lap: This time the sun was out but I felt that I should take it easy seeing as I was still suffering from shoulder pain. Of course as soon as I got on the track I ignored all sensible thought. Wheelies, kneedowns and lots of backing in made this lap just the most fun thing I've ever done in my life (with clothes on). Managed to keep up with 2 gixxer 750's who frequented the track a bit so was very pleased. Wanted to do more laps but shoulder injury really kicked in and I had to call it a day.

My 2nd off:
Tarmac slightly damp, tyres cold I accelerate to pull into a side road only to get the back end out. This causes me to fixate on some gravel and then I was helped along by the decreasing camber into yet another ditch. Purely my own silly fault but no extra damage to bike. Landed on same shoulder though which wasn't great.

The roads around the Nurburgring are simply sublime in the dry, in the wet they are extremely slippery so extra caution is really, really adviseable.

Will upload piccies later................................somehow this one managed to creep in though...........yes it's me on the Nurburgring.............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg da pants!.JPG (49.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 31-05-07, 09:22 PM   #2
sarah

Default Re: I'm back and I survived Nurburgring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwakadan View Post
Well.........what a trip.

In summary:

My first lap: I did in the pouring rain which was 'interesting', bike was all over the place yet I loved it. Back end was everywhere, still managed a few wheelies and kneedowns though. Riding smoothly was crucial here.............so my **** end was all over the place but soooo much fun!

My first off:
Riding on the road (not the track) again still raining hard. Approaching a junction where a car pulled out at the last possible second. I braked and locked up and clipped my mates bike which sent me and bike down slamming into the tarmac and then sliding into a ditch. Mates bike okay (he has ABS the swine) my bike has dented tank, scratched engine casing and plastics. Nothing too major. Torn muscle in my shoulder which is agonising and some loss of skin on elbow. Jacket is totalled.

Mt 2nd lap: This time the sun was out but I felt that I should take it easy seeing as I was still suffering from shoulder pain. Of course as soon as I got on the track I ignored all sensible thought. Wheelies, kneedowns and lots of backing in made this lap just the most fun thing I've ever done in my life (with clothes on). Managed to keep up with 2 gixxer 750's who frequented the track a bit so was very pleased. Wanted to do more laps but shoulder injury really kicked in and I had to call it a day.

My 2nd off:
Tarmac slightly damp, tyres cold I accelerate to pull into a side road only to get the back end out. This causes me to fixate on some gravel and then I was helped along by the decreasing camber into yet another ditch. Purely my own silly fault but no extra damage to bike. Landed on same shoulder though which wasn't great.

The roads around the Nurburgring are simply sublime in the dry, in the wet they are extremely slippery so extra caution is really, really adviseable.

Will upload piccies later................................somehow this one managed to creep in though...........yes it's me on the Nurburgring.............
glad you had a good time despite your offs. how's your shoulder feeling now? i would definitely recommend getting physio on it if you can.
Old 31-05-07, 09:23 PM   #3
hovis

2 OFFS?

now im scared.............. i hope its dry next month
Old 31-05-07, 09:23 PM   #4
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Welcomer back! Well done for getting up and carrying on, yer 'ard b@rsteward.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-07, 12:59 AM   #5
Spider

Glad to hear you`re still in 1 piece mate. Sounds like the bike is a bit battered though, probaly needs some TLC and i`m sure the Gm will find you some sympathy from somewhere. Isn`t it between s*** and syphilis in the dictionary?
Old 01-06-07, 06:34 AM   #6
falc

Bloody hell Dan, you don't do things easy do ya?! Glad your back in one piece with no broken bones or massively broken bike. The ring does sound fun, ill get over there one day and judging by your experience in the dry as well
Old 01-06-07, 08:59 AM   #7
rictus01
Mega Poster

Glad you enjoyed yourself, wonderful place isn't it, not sure you actually need the throwing down the road stuff ? but if it keeps you happy (I take it you were on the Hornet then ?), was posted 50 miles away from there for 3 years, was a regular for a time myself

Something for the memory banks.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-07, 09:15 AM   #8
Tomcat

I can't believe no has commented on that picture yet!!!

Nice undies
Old 01-06-07, 09:19 AM   #9
K

Yeah, good job you took the Hornet otherwise you'd have scuppered selling on the Zed.

Sounds like you had an 'interesting' time. But you enjoyed it, have done it, and returned to tell the tale...

... so where are the other pictures?

Hovis, don't worry - we're a gentle bunch to go with, rain or shine, Neil will take care of us on teh track.
Old 01-06-07, 10:27 AM   #10
Law

EWWW!!! WHAT DID I SAY ABOUT PHOTOS BEFORE YOU LEFT?

Glad you had a nice time even with the offs.