SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-03-06, 01:14 AM   #1
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Spacer kit to fit B12 rear wheel

I'm in the process of emeasuring up and working out what's needed to fit a Bandit 1200 rear wheel into a carbed SV650. It's quite simple really, just a question of spacers, bearings (if you do it my way) and a sprocket to suit. So in a few weeks, I'll be calling around engineering places to get some spacers made up. Anyone else want some? I don't know what the cost will be at all, tbh, but the more I get the cheaper it'll be. Nice neat way to put a wider tyre on an SV.

Just looking for preliminary interest at this point... Still a way off placing the order. Once the spacers are made it'll be a farily simple swap- knock out the bearings, fit the new bearings and spacers, change the chain.

(if anyone's wondering, yes, you could do it cheaper with a single mighty captive spacer running clear through, but it'd have to be steel, and it'd add a fair amount of weight to an already immense wheel. It'll be more expensive, but as B12 wheels don't match the SV for colour anyway I imagine most people would want to paint or coat the wheel, and that usually means new bearings anyway. Plus, I don't trust bearings I don't know the history of, so I'd change them in general principles)
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-06, 04:19 PM   #2
BILLY

Iv'e just won a bandit12 rear on Ebay and am awaiting delivery, I will definately be interested in the spacers!!! Billy.
Old 28-03-06, 06:24 PM   #3
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Are you not using steel for the spacers?

How many spacers using to make the wheel fit (provided it's not PI ) . I used two( One cushdrive and one for the righthand side).

I had to take a pic of the frame on my other 650 so too a couple of the 160/60 and 180/55 next to each other. The 180 is a BT012. It might be of interest to someone

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-06, 06:40 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

That's a good looking tyre, that.

I could do it with a big steel 20mm-17mm spacer in the wheel, modify the SV sprocket carrier one... But I'm not going to, I'll replace the bearings and use the same spacer configuration as standard- one in the wheel, one in the carrier, one at the RHS and the standard SV one on the left. I'm sure I could do something with the stock sprocket carrier spacer to make it fit the B12. So then you're down to 2 new ones. But also carrying around a load more ironmongery, in a wheel that could already be used to kill elephants.

So, I figure a neater solution is new bearings, and new spacers throughout. Maybe machine down the sprocket carrier one. The one in the wheel can be ally, as on recent GSXRs, as they're bracing not loadbearing. I've not come across any objections to doing the lot in ally for the same reason. Still cheaper than a set of titanium disc brake nuts, I imagine

So it's not the cheap option, but it's much more appealing to me. If anyone wants a scaptive steel setup, they can build their own
Old 28-03-06, 06:54 PM   #5
Viney
Mega Poster

Wouldnt it just be easier to say..>Ben, I like the look of your wheel. What did you use to fit it to your SV?
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-06, 07:03 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

Because I already know how to do it his way Just decided not to. This is, IMO, a neater solution. They both work perfectly well of course, and both need spacers made. But since I'd want new bearings anyway, it's only 1 or 2 extra spacers.

The actual result and route is pretyt much identical, it's just the approach that varies.

Also, I'm choosing to use a B12 wheel and not a GSXR wheel because IMO it looks better- unless I'm very much mistaken, Ben's wheel is a slope-spoked GSXR wheel, which would irritate me every time I saw it. SV Race Shop put one into a gorgeous GSVR and every time I see it I just think "mismatched wheels", not "Nice bike"