SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-05-17, 01:14 PM   #1
dyzio
Mega Poster

Default White rust/corrosion

Hi all,

Does anyone know what this white stuff actually is and is it possible to get rid of it? I mean the white stuff on the engine casing and the rear shock.

Cheers,

dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 02:04 PM   #2
macamxthe1st

Default Re: White rust/corrosion

I hope that I am wrong but it looks to me like damage to the laquer on the engine casing due to "salt" and worse is I think that it is virtually impossible to get shot of without removal of the laquer, polish and reapply. Sorry to be so negative but I have come across it many times and it is a real bugger.

Geoff.

I really hope that I am wrong on this and someone else knows better.

Last edited by macamxthe1st; 12-05-17 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-05-17, 02:15 PM   #3
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Do you ride when salt on the roads ? This is probably magnesium / aluminium alloy corrosion (magnesium and aluminium oxide). Clear coating has got damaged and water / salt moved in to cause galvanic corrosion

You can use ACF-50 throughout winter to keep water and salt off your bike parts. It will get to look dirty and tatty, but once you clean it off the aluminium will be in much better shape.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 12-05-17 at 02:17 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 02:35 PM   #4
dyzio
Mega Poster

The picture is of a bike I might be looking at with a friend.

It's a 500cc Honda, 10years and wait for it... 5000 miles on the clock. The picture is the best one showing the problems, thought the paint might be damaged just thought to ask as well.

Cheers
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 03:53 PM   #5
Stilo

Can't see the shock but itis definitley corrosion on the engine casing. My Ducati was the same when I bought it (they are known for it). Plenty of elbow grease & assorted abrasive papers will remove it, apply a good etch primer, engine silver & then clear coat (all available in rattle cans & on Ebay)
Old 13-05-17, 11:56 AM   #6
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

If you want a cheap way of tarting it up I did this engine with Plastikote Satin Radiator paint.I'm a Paint sprayer by trade and can tell you this stuff is amazing;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plasti-kot...IAAOSw-vlVm6yR

And Rustoleum do a version as well.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebas...--400ml-682383

I did several of my CX500 engines with it,

No primer required.Drys really quick to a nice satin finish so no clear-coat required.
When the paint becomes tired touching up is easy.Quick scuff down and spray and it blends so well you can't see the touch-up.

As it's Radiator paint it can handle the engine temps no problem.

HTH

Tip:
Whilst you prepping the job stand your aerosol can/s in a pan or bowl of warm water.Will help with application and speed up drying.

If you do ever use a primer you can use a Hairdryer to heat the primer after application to speed up the job and the same with the top-coat/finish

I'm actually doing a bit of touch-up on my SV as I type

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 13-05-17 at 12:03 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-17, 09:17 PM   #7
Blapper

The alternator covers on my old Beemer twins used to get stained by salt (dark stains because it is a better alloy than Jap crap alloy is) so I used to spray them with a light dusting of UHT silver paint. They looked like new, washed off easily and never stained again.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-17, 07:57 AM   #8
SV650rules
Mega Poster

http://www.cbxclub.com/davespage/mcy84-1.html

This is interesting read, pure aluminium is very resistant to corrosion but its strength is crap, when you start to alloy it to get better strength (with silica and magnesium etc.) then corrosion becomes a problem. Some cleaners / degreasers are too aggressive and the chemicals they contain can get into pores of aluminium and cause corrosion even when you think you have rinsed them off pretty well. Some cleaners are so aggressive they even attack clearcoat.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote