SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-08-17, 12:17 PM   #1
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Turn and Go.Puncture Repair

Anyone used one of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Oxford...EAAOSwk9dZm~-D
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TurnandGo.jpg (108.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 30-08-17, 12:47 PM   #2
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: Turn and Go.Puncture Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
They look like a cleaner alternative to the "sticky string" which I have used - where you rough the edges of the hole with rasp provided, then attach the sticky string to a large T-handled needle, insert into hole, twist and pull out leaving sticky string to plug hole. Inflate with C02 and hope it holds.
Yeh.I have one of those kits.I was looking at these kits because they have the Co2 canisters for inflation

Of course once you buy one you never a get a puncture<BFG>

I used to run my CX500s with,"Goop or Slime" in the tyres.I never got a stopping puncture.I know the stuff worked as I used to fit my own tyres and there were some small spots of the green stuff that has sealed some small pin-holes in one of the tyres so it must have got a small puncture that I never even knew about

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 30-08-17 at 12:51 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-17, 03:21 PM   #3
Grim-Lock

Personally use a dynaplug kit, bit pricey but have repaired around 7 punctured between 2 bikes and it is super compact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grim-Lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-17, 03:33 PM   #4
SV650rules
Mega Poster

http://www.mandp.co.uk/stop-and-go-p...inflation.html

This is a really well made piece of kit, had it over 12 months, but as RifR4ff says having one is
good insurance that you probably won't need it - I did a dry run on an old tyre when I first had it
but IMHO you need to practise using it every 6 months or so just to make sure that when you need it
you have some idea how to use it (they do supply a small laminated instruction card).

The only thing not in the kit is pliers to pull the nail / screw / hedgehog or porcupine quill out of the tyre........but most tool kits have a pair of pliers

1. Basically you rasp the hole,
2. poke the pointy thing with handle and shiny end through
3. unscrew the handle of the pointy thing - which withdraws the shiny point leaving the (now hollow) end in the hole
4. unscrew center (pusher) out of the rear of big metal knurled thing using the supplied allen wrench and load a rubber mushroom into it
5. screw the pusher back in slightly with allen wrench
6. screw the end of big knurled thing into the thread of the tube you left in the tyre earlier
7. tighten down pusher to its stop using allen key - which extrudes the mushroom through hollow metal tube till its head pops out inside the tyre
8. pull the whole assembly back out of tyre, it will pull back until mushroom head hits inside of tyre, then the stem of the mushroom pulls out of hollow tube as you withdraw it
9. blow up the tyre using the CO2 and supplied valve adapator (screw onto valve first and then screw other end onto CO2 which it will pierce seal and release gas into tyre - very fast LOL (repeat as necessary)
10. cut off any of the mushroom stem that is sticking out
11. ride off into the sunset..............

The mushroom plugs (once they are in the air pressure holds then in place) are pre-coated with silicon gel to ensure
they squeeze though the hole in the applicator OK (a surprisingly small hole) but I did add some extra
silicone grease into the plastic bag with them. They say you may need all 4 Co2 canisters to blow up
a motorcycle rear tyre from flat, but they are available off t'internet and any shop that sells air rifles
should have them.

People say they have done thousands of miles with one of the mushroom plugs in their tyre, but I
hope I never need it. The solid stem of the mushroom is supposed to expand into the hole and stop
water getting to the steel braids and rusting them (if your bike tyres have steel braids )
which can happen with sticky string etc.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 31-08-17 at 02:54 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-17, 07:22 PM   #5
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

You know the inflation canisters,how do they attach to the Tyre Valve?

S'OK

Just found my answer at M&P(I've bought quite a lot of stuff off them over the years.Excellent company).

http://www.mandp.co.uk/stop-and-go-t...ation-kit.html

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 30-08-17 at 07:23 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-17, 02:52 PM   #6
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Further down the page on the Oxford Turn-N-Go info are some colour coded caps for your valves that change colour from green to red when pressure drops - beware of these as I have seen people complain that they can flatten your tyre (they have to screw on and press the valve down to allow pressure to the top colour changing part, and this can allow air to escape).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote