SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-02-05, 09:10 PM   #1
PsychoCannon

Default I think i'm lucky to be alive

I've just been stopped from going home by my mate becase:

as he pulled into his drive he almost hit my bike not knowing i had poped round to visit (its a regular thing when i'm here he bombs into the drive and has a OmfgCannonsVisitingTheresHisBikeBrake!!! moment).

He didn't hit it but given his close encounter he did notice a rather odd glint coming from my back tyre.

I have NO idea how this happened or how i didn't notice as i was checking my brake pads only a few days earlier and didn't see this and haven't had any hard braking in the days since.
In fact i've only had the bike about 2 weeks since it came back from being rebuilt after my last accident so i would of expected everything to be in top condition.

Fully the center of the tyre 3/4 of hte way round is practically bare wire albeit with shreds of rubber stuck to bits and places and some of the wire has started to shred.

Now i KNOW for a FACT the tyre seemed fine 3 days ago as i was cleaning the bike and the rims and checking the break pads and saw nothing untowards.
I know im meant to check before every ride for nails etc but i guess i got complacent.

I've also noted that the back break pad is missing AGAIN but this has been happening for months and the garage i goto is always replacing it and telling me nothigns wrong despite the fact that 3 days later its gone again with normal usage.

I think its time to find a new garage and not get back on this bike until its been thourougly gone over by somone with some common sense who can sort out the back end for me (suggestions for good mechanics in the Harrow area welcome)

I've got a mechanic mate here who suggests it should be fine to ride home on but i've decided that i'm gonna obey my own instincts on this one and stay here tonight and get the bike checked out tomorrow morning rather than risk getting pulled over or worse the tyre blowing on me half way down the M1.

I don't know how this happened, how i missed it, HOW it got this bad this fast (i've NEVER seen it this bad even after my last near off where i burnt out the rear wheel trying to break hard) or how close this thing was to killing me (or if its not as bad as it looks as has been suggested to me?? i really dont know)

I've even got a mad voice in the back of my head suspicous of the fact that only the 3/4 of the tyre not touching the floor is shredded the bit i was parked on is fine =/ but i don't know anyone up here who would do something like this =/, i dont know im just flabergasted as to how this happened......i think i'm lucky to be alive honestly....
I've been off shotting all weekend so i only got back to the bike a few hours ago and it was dark by then so had my mates brother not of noticed this i sure of hell wouldn't off and would of ridden off (with some very heavy kit on my back) down the M1 with this.
Old 06-02-05, 09:26 PM   #2
PsychoCannon

Going to post a photo tomorrow as i can't tell much by torch light.
Whatever the light reveals all i know is im now checking my bike out before every ride.
Old 06-02-05, 09:33 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

I rode about 250 miles on a Sportec after it became illegal and then burned it out in the bike shop's car park, and still never got it to look like that.

The back brake thing is shady as hell too, take some photos if you can- I can't see how a rear pad could possibly come out unless there's parts missing.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-05, 09:37 PM   #4
PsychoCannon

Yeah i've had some hairy moments on the bike before and never seen anything like this and i'm doing my nut about it as either im a total retard and missed this (still dont know how i did it in the first place) or i'm paranoid and some random Nutter is trying to kill me =/
Old 06-02-05, 09:44 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

Ah right, it's just wearing down too fast? Hum. Well, you'd notice if the brake was dragging I'm sure. Other than that i have no useful suggestion to make there, other than have another owner or garage look at it.

I doubt anyone's tampered with it, think how difficult it'd be... Seriously. takes 5 seconds to slash a tyre but a long time to mess with it like that.
Old 06-02-05, 09:45 PM   #6
PsychoCannon

yeah i'm sure its just something ive missed but i'm just racking my brain as to How when and more importantly how the HELL did i not notice =/
Old 06-02-05, 10:01 PM   #7
snoopy

How does the back brake pad fall out! I must question your motorcycle engineering skills
Old 06-02-05, 10:12 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

I'm going to quesry your reading skills It's just wearing down far too fast.

What sort of tyre is it? I've heard of some that go from OK-looking to dead in no time, Roadtec for instance...
Old 06-02-05, 10:20 PM   #9
chazzyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
What sort of tyre is it? I've heard of some that go from OK-looking to dead in no time, Roadtec for instance...
Really? I just fitted one when I found my rear Diablo had suddenly developed little splits across the centre of the tyre in a couple of patches. I have read that both tyres use the same carcase.
Old 06-02-05, 10:21 PM   #10
PsychoCannon

not a clue
I'll check tomoz morning when i go to take the photos.

Gonna try to see if my break down covers this or if im gonna have to try get this towed into town to repair (thankfully my mate here is off work tomorrow so he knows a few places here).
Gonna call the office tomoz and tell them i won't be in too soon as i'm slightly stuck here until i can fix my mode of transport (laptops back at home and i dont think i can turn up at work in Camo with a bag full of guns anyway)