SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-08-09, 09:09 AM   #1
twopots

Default New chain and sprockets- "whirring" noise

Hi

I've had a new x ring chain and sprockets fitted last week, as my old chain developed a tight spot. I had this work done at a local motorbike repair shop, as I didn't want to fork out on a chain tool for the job.

Since having the new chain fitted, bike is going really well, except after riding for 20mins or more when rolling off the throttle from about 60mph down to 40-50mph, there is a "whirring" or rubbing sound as if something is wearing.

I'm bit worried that this could be worn transmission bearings caused by the previous chain with the tight spot (but this sound did not occur with the old chain)

Any thoughts on this?
Old 20-08-09, 09:28 AM   #2
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: New chain and sprockets- "whirring" noise

Assuming you have done a bit of mileage in the week sinse you fitted the chain it probably needs adjusting and lubing.New chains can stretch a bit as they run in,and all chains need regular lube.
Old 20-08-09, 10:30 AM   #3
warrenhewitt10

i noticed this when i replaced my chain to a tsubaki x ring, didnt think much off it, jus sounded like a bit of gear lash, have had the chain on it nearly a year, hasnt been a problem
Old 20-08-09, 10:45 AM   #4
zobers

I had the same thing when I replaced mine- I think it's normal. Mine stopped making the noise after a while.
Old 20-08-09, 10:55 AM   #5
twopots

Thanks for the replies,

I'll keep an eye on it

Cheers