SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-06-10, 07:26 PM   #1
Sagi3

Default My SV is ugly - how do I fix this?

Hy Guys and Gals

I'm new here so please be gentile with me

I started riding just over a year and a half ago on a Honda Lead 100 scooter, affectionatly know as "The Beast". As you can imaggine it was not particularly fast, but some twist and go fun that got me to work and back.

I then got a new job in Oct last year and passed my DAS in order to get a "proper" bike for my 20 mile round trip commute. My first "big bike" was a 1998 Honda VFR 800, which was my pride and joy and I loved every minute of riding it, until............

Some twit in a pick-up decided to talk to his kid and turn right with no signal, and without looking and totally wiped me out along with my pride and joy

I'm OK but sadly the bike is on a destination to the pearly gates, and i'm sure St Peter will let her in as she was such a beauty!

However.....

After lots of negotiation, and over 4 hours worth of phone calls to my insurance company I now have the opportunity to own a 2000 SV650 bikini after reading such good things about it, mainly from here but also MCN and reviews found on the web.

My problem is though...... Although it rides a treat, and is far more useable for me than a full-on sportsbike. I think it is ugly!!!

The lack of fairings, the gawdy rear end number plate holder, massive indicators and sadly, lack of fuel gauge!

I live in the South coast of the UK and have been spending countless hours scouring the web for what I should do with my new pride and joy.

I have around £200-£300 to spend initially, then a little extra each month to put towards imporving/customising my new stead. And I am asking for help.

What would you recommend I spend my money on and in what order would you recommend I do it in.

I have found this as a set of lowers that I think are cool, however along with a few cans of spray will be my full budget:

http://www.twinshack.co.uk/prods/302.html

Part of me is thinking of getting a belly pan so that i can spend the spare cash on a tail-tidy and poss hugger and indicatoer etc.

Another part is thinking, sod that lot, get braided hoses and new fork oil.

A big part of the problem comes from having big trouble finding parts for the 99-02 in the UK. Does anyone know of any websites i could check out?

Also, where do you recommend I start first and if you are feeling so generious, why?

Thanks for reading my extreemly long rambling
Old 23-06-10, 07:28 PM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Help a newbie :)

Start with the braided hoses and fork springs. They are important for safety, plastic sh*te isn't!
Old 23-06-10, 07:29 PM   #3
Sagi3

Thanks. Any recommendations on what to get and were to get it?
Old 23-06-10, 07:30 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

IIRC maxton, Ktech, racetech for springs. I think maxton are the cheapest of the bunch. what rate you need depends on your weight.
Old 23-06-10, 07:33 PM   #5
BBadger

At the end of the day its your bike but i would much rather spend a little on a belly pan (improves the look 100000 times ) and spend the rest on some new fork springs/ oil.
That will give you a pretty good bike and then you can add things like clear led break light mini indies tinted screen ect....all the add-ons you could think of and it would fit in your budget.

Although just what i would do but if you want the fairings get them but consider the other options 1st as the sv is stupidly customizable.

Also try ebay for parts...lots about.
Old 23-06-10, 07:34 PM   #6
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Lots of useful stuff to spend your money on before splashing out on cosmetic tat too
Old 23-06-10, 07:42 PM   #7
davepreston

im with yc plus if ness you can get a sv curvy bellypan for 35 quid on ebay (brand new)
Old 23-06-10, 07:43 PM   #8
Sagi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Lots of useful stuff to spend your money on before splashing out on cosmetic tat too
Like...........

This is where I am struggling. I can't seem to find anywher UK bound that has any products for the 99-02 SV. Demon bikes has some nice stuff but nothing is in stock! Halford is as useful as my Nan (although she is a ledge!) any anyone else i can find only does OEM parts, which whilst usefull, are useless for upgrades!

Do you, or anyone else have any website that they don't mind recommending, or some they have found in the UK but maybe not tried themselves?
Old 23-06-10, 07:43 PM   #9
Sagi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepreston View Post
im with yc plus if ness you can get a sv curvy bellypan for 35 quid on ebay (brand new)
Ohhh.... Point me in that direction please
Old 23-06-10, 07:56 PM   #10
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagi3 View Post
Like...........

This is where I am struggling. I can't seem to find anywher UK bound that has any products for the 99-02 SV. Demon bikes has some nice stuff but nothing is in stock! Halford is as useful as my Nan (although she is a ledge!) any anyone else i can find only does OEM parts, which whilst usefull, are useless for upgrades!

Do you, or anyone else have any website that they don't mind recommending, or some they have found in the UK but maybe not tried themselves?
fork springs and braided lines are good start. Then tyres. Then consider an upgrade shock. Heated grips, noisy pipe, rearsets etc.

Maxton for springs, HEL for lines