SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-07-11, 09:35 AM   #1
maxinc

Default Front end clicking sound

Hi all,

Not sure if this has always been there and normal or something is getting loose and I need to look into it.

Basically with bike standing, holding the front brake an pushing down the forks, there is a small clicking sound like something is not very tight. I can only think brake pads or rotors slightly moving / adjusting their position but can't be sure.

When I push on the forks without front brake applied, the movement is very smooth with no clicking.

Do I need to worry?
Old 20-07-11, 11:10 AM   #2
vardypeeps

Default Re: Front end clicking sound

Sounds like it's the brake rotors moving on the rivets due to the brake being applied. Check to see if your steering head bearings are on the way out, mind you if there are no noises when the brake is not applied the above is probley the cause.

Not sure what would be classed as too much movement in the rotors, someone else might be able to help with that one?

Ta,
Rob
Old 21-07-11, 09:21 AM   #3
maxinc

Thanks Rob, that is what my intuition saids too.

I'm wondering if anyone else noticed it ...
Old 21-07-11, 01:14 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

for the brakes. pop the front on a padock stand pull the brake and move the wheel back and forth if you feel clicking then its the pads moving in the callipers. mine do it and its nowt to worry about.

you can check the discs by hand by moving them back and forth.

head bearings. grab hold of both lower forks and push back and forth. if you feel a clicking then its the head bearings.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-11, 01:52 PM   #5
maxinc

Indeed the outer part of the rotor are moving slightly but I think they are designed to do this. Thanks for the tips.
Old 22-07-11, 08:29 PM   #6
sev

I had a clicking noise when ever i applied the front brakes and thought that it was the discs,when i took the bike for its mot the tester said he thougth the steering head bearings were a little tight. I decided to strip them and greased them, put them back together and re-tightened them and the noise has gone. The bearings looked fine but were a little dry as i dont think they had been greased in the last 13000 miles.
sev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-11, 08:57 PM   #7
Gregga

I get a real sharp click sound if i go over speed bumps too fast :s
Old 22-07-11, 09:49 PM   #8
Dunn-y

^ same here. Going to put heavier oil and stiffer springs in the front when I have the money.

I noticed that clicking aswell coming from the front discs. Was told it was normal. Mine moves about 1mm.
Old 23-07-11, 12:13 AM   #9
Lozzo

You've got Skippy the Bush Kangaroo stuck in your mudguard - call a ranger pronto.
Old 23-07-11, 06:37 AM   #10
maxinc

Poor Skippy ... probably vaporised by now

Problem with me was that I only noticed it after I changed the front wheel and gave the callipers a clean in the process. Somehow I associated the sound with the possibility of not fitting everything back properly so I thought I'll ask before finding myself in a stupid and potentially dangerous situation. Glad it is nothing to worry about