SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-05-12, 06:25 PM   #1
Fifteen15

Default Refurbishing scratched yoke?

My yoke is all scratched up from the previous owners keys and I want to make it look like new again. I've searched this forum but I couldn't find anyone who has actually successfully made it look like new by either polishing it or painting it that has posted up before/after pictures.

Any ideas? Has anyone got before/after pictures?

If all else fails, I'm going to have to buy a yoke brand new which will probably cost 100+ notes.
Old 26-05-12, 06:48 PM   #2
hopper650

You could get it powder coated, it's generally pretty cheap and the finish is good. I have had my Sv wheels powder coated black. Jus be sure to stick some old bolts in the threads for the fork leg, and mask off the holes where the forks go as the powder coating will make these holes smaller.

You probably will have to get it shot blasted first too. Or if you get it blasted you can paint it yourself it's very easy. Just get some self etch primer as you will be spraying on bare aluminium and give it a good few coats of whatever colour you what. If you get the top yoke nice and hot between coats the paint will grab better too.

I painted a GSXR bottom yoke that I put on my pointy for the GSXR conversion.
Old 26-05-12, 06:54 PM   #3
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Scratched yoke

Polishing is dead easy, and will look better than new with a bit of elbow grease or polishing wheel and a bit of solvo
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-12, 07:40 PM   #4
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

I did my top yoke by hand and it was stunning for a few months, now I cannot be bothered to polish it and it just looks great.

To aid this, I smoothed off the casting marks, machined down the riser mounts and then went for it with various grades of wet and dry. Starting with 600 and moving through to 1200, once I had finished with the 1200 I got the polishing soap and wheel out and buffed it until it was a mirror finish.

All sides polished up lovely, however if the sun gets in just the right position, the top surface becomes a solar mirror and it is quite distracting! Still would not do it any other way though. I polished my risers too and they also gleam with loveliness!

Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-12, 07:42 PM   #5
Fifteen15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopper650 View Post
You could get it powder coated
If I were to get it powder coated I would get it done professionally. Anyone have experience with powder coated yokes? And the cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Polishing is dead easy, and will look better than new with a bit of elbow grease or polishing wheel and a bit of solvo
This sounds like a good idea, and dirt cheap to do too, but I've yet to see any photos of before and after pics. I don't really know whether I'd like it polished, and then you have the problem with the sun reflecting off of it into your eyes. I'd love to see some pictures of it done though, that could tempt me.
Old 26-05-12, 07:46 PM   #6
Fifteen15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayneflakes View Post
I did my top yoke by hand and it was stunning for a few months, now I cannot be bothered to polish it and it just looks great.
Could you take some pictures of it when you have time please, I'd love to see it. If you're too busy, don't worry about it
Old 26-05-12, 07:55 PM   #7
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifteen15 View Post
Could you take some pictures of it when you have time please, I'd love to see it. If you're too busy, don't worry about it
I did take photos ages ago and if you go through this thread you can see some of the results. Bare in mind I did a lot of work on other aspects of the bike at the same time.

Anyway, have a look in my handlebar thread for pics of my work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-12, 08:49 PM   #8
hopper650

I admit polishing does look good if you can keep it clean and polished lol. Powder coating is cheap and durable it cost me £25 to have a wheel blasted and powder coated so something small like a yoke shouldn't be too much.
Old 26-05-12, 08:51 PM   #9
Fifteen15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopper650 View Post
I admit polishing does look good if you can keep it clean and polished lol. Powder coating is cheap and durable it cost me £25 to have a wheel blasted and powder coated so something small like a yoke shouldn't be too much.
Was that done professionally? Seems really cheap if it was!
Old 26-05-12, 09:17 PM   #10
hopper650

Yea it was done professionally, it is not actually hard to do. You just have to have the right equipment. The guy that does it is fairly local to me, and I have been very happy with his work.