SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-03-15, 12:36 PM   #1
SvNewbie

Default Chinese POS.

So my friend bought a Chinese 125 last year. She rode it around the block a few times but never really got used to riding a bike with a clutch. She then left the bike all winter without starting so predictably it didn't want to run when she tried.

I popped over yesterday assuming it would be something like the fuel tap left off or the kill switch flicked off but no luck. It will turn over quite happily but doesn't make any attempt to fire.

I took the spark plug out (after picking a socket which would fit), after turning it over a few times it was definitely wet. I kicked the engine over a few times with the spark plug out dried and wiped the spark plug. Checked that there is compression (feels fine on the kick starter) and enough to blow my finger off the spark-plug hole.

I tested the spark-plug by grounding it against the engine block and turning the bike over. This only produced the finest of tiny sparks. Possibly it wasn't grounded that well though. Parts are dirt cheap for it so ordered a new spark plug and coil.

Pushed it to the nearest garage and filled the tank just incase (it was nearly empty).

Going to try charging the battery (was pretty flat by the end) changing the spark and the coil. Other than that any words of wisdom? Am I right in thinking that even with the worst mixture in the world (but definitely some fuel) it would at least cough a few times when cranking it / kickstarting / push-starting it.
Old 23-03-15, 03:43 PM   #2
atassiedevil

Default Re: Chinese POS.

Should do. Tried changing the plug cap? Had to do that recently on my stepdaughters chinese 125.
They do fail. Often.
Old 23-03-15, 03:59 PM   #3
SvNewbie

If the picture is accurate the coil comes with a new plug cap and HT lead so that should be taken care of hopefully.
Old 23-03-15, 04:32 PM   #4
willf

I would charge battery before spending too much money on other parts. Your diagnostic logic seems sound.
Old 23-03-15, 04:34 PM   #5
willf

Fresh fuel never hurt either. But 6 months isn't so long.
Old 23-03-15, 04:51 PM   #6
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Give it a shot of lighter fuel
Old 23-03-15, 09:09 PM   #7
bobbleheadbarne

Shot in the dark is it carb?
Old 23-03-15, 09:09 PM   #8
bobbleheadbarne

Try some easy start at the air intake
Old 24-03-15, 11:34 AM   #9
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

What model is it? Check the kill switch (We've all done it, if I leave the kill switch set to 'Off' but try to start mine it does the chugga chugga and sounds like it's trying but never fires) and change the fuel

Engine wise they are all pretty much the same. Mine was stood for a couple of years, I could get it started but it would just die after a bit so I stripped the carb and just cleaned it all with a can of carb cleaner.

Is the choke on the bar or under the tank on the carb itself?

If it is on the carb itself then it should have three settings, down, middle up.
Up = On max - If cold or not used for ages then have it on this setting, kick the bike over and hold the revs at about 5k for 5-10 seconds, then put down to middle setting
Middle = Half on, hold the revs at about 5k for 5-10 seconds then back off the throttle slowy to see if it dies or if it stays on
Down = Off

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-15, 12:34 PM   #10
SvNewbie

Cheers Stretchie, it is a Lexmoto Vixen with the pulse 125 engine, double and triple checked the kill switch. It would kill the ignition if it was not working or not in the right place right? Will check whether the weak spark becomes no spark at all next time I have a look at it just to be quadruply sure. Probably a good idea to check the side stand switch while I'm there.

The choke is on the carb, tried with it both up and down but will give the middle position a go for completeness. I seem to remember that when it did run it didn't particularly like having the choke completely off. Possibly a blocked jet somewhere or is running with the choke in the middle pretty standard for them?

I'm leaning more towards it being an ignition issue than fuelling though, based on the fact that the spark plugs are definitely wet with fuel after cranking it. If it was making any effort at starting at all, not idling or running rough I'd have thought a fuelling issue was more likely?