SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-02-19, 10:32 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Crossrail

Anybody watch the BBC documentary? This is the update that covers the delays. They extended the opening by a year and now they are saying it's doubtful they will be able to make the new deadline.

I like to see some of the technical challenges they have to overcome although installing the main power cable to Tottenham Ct Rd station after the station was nearly finished and pulling it through by hand (or rather a team of hands) seemed crude. I would have thought it would have made more sense to install it earlier.

What I didn't like was, because of the delays, the £15 billion pound railway is now the £17 billion pound railway. At that price everyone should at least get a brick installed with each of our names on it. I hope the London commuters enjoy their new railway (eventually) that the country has paid for.

...meanwhile, on the other end of the budget spectrum we have the Pacer train which may be kept in service a little longer; 2020, although Northern Rail admitted they haven't started retiring them yet.

Here's a brief video on the Pacer showing the contrast in our rail network:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucA5xIgjZBc
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-19, 12:04 PM   #2
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Crossrail

Yup, South East again getting the money - HS2 will benefit London more than anywhere else as it only stops in London and Birmingham for phase 1 and after they have seen the delays and huge cost overrun on Phase 1 I guess that the other bits to Manchester and Leeds will never get built, making it a white Elephant of massive cost. Money would be better spent improving railways in 'the Northern Powerhouse' to gee up their economies and get rid of some of the misery of traveling on overcrowded outdated trains..

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-19, 12:17 PM   #3
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Give it five years and there wont be any money to spend on these projects so we can all be equally miserable then.
Old 22-02-19, 04:07 PM   #4
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Money would be better spent improving railways in 'the Northern Powerhouse' to gee up their economies and get rid of some of the misery of traveling on overcrowded outdated trains..
Agreed. This is one of the key arguments against HS2. It will only cut 20 minutes off a relatively short (in High Speed railway terms) journey. It will also needlessly ruin several areas of outstanding natural beauty and special scientific interest which is pure political vandalism in order to push forward a vanity project. The "pro" HS2 lobby tried to make out those of us who live near the route didn't want it through NIMBYism - we don't want it because we don't have much countryside left down here as it is, especially with all the new houses being built wherever they can be shoe-horned in due to toothless council planners being bullied by developers...
Old 22-02-19, 04:36 PM   #5
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Give it five years and there wont be any money to spend on these projects so we can all be equally miserable then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 22-02-19, 09:41 PM   #6
Talking Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
What I didn't like was, because of the delays, the £15 billion pound railway is now the £17 billion pound railway. At that price everyone should at least get a brick installed with each of our names on it. I hope the London commuters enjoy their new railway (eventually) that the country has paid for.
More than one country is paying.
Can't say I'm thrilled at paying for major infrastructure projects in what I consider to be a foreign country.
Independence is coming soon..... (he said in an optimistic tone)
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-19, 09:58 PM   #7
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

As we are both British I know how you feel (half English / half Scots and family on both side of the border). Many "English" feel the same about the " universal " postal service within the UK, where the urban areas effectively pay for the rural areas.
Old 23-02-19, 08:41 AM   #8
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
Can't say I'm thrilled at paying for major infrastructure projects in what I consider to be a foreign country.
Well you know how English people north of Watford think then, seeing all the money spent on the foreign country we call Londonistan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoldman2 View Post
As we are both British I know how you feel (half English / half Scots and family on both side of the border). Many "English" feel the same about the " universal " postal service within the UK, where the urban areas effectively pay for the rural areas.
And people without kids pay for the education of people with kids, people who live on a hill pay higher insurance so that people who live on a flood plain can get reasonably priced insurance etc. etc. it is called distribution of assets, society or just plain civilisation...

Last edited by SV650rules; 23-02-19 at 08:45 AM.
Old 23-02-19, 12:53 PM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

we cant even get a DC/MW between London and Edinburgh. its a disgrace
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-19, 02:32 PM   #10
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
we cant even get a DC/MW between London and Edinburgh. its a disgrace
How true.
Dualing the A1 north of Morpeth would be nice as it would take traffic off the A68.

When the Kingdom of Northumbria gets it's independence we'll get it sorted. We'll need decent links between our capital of Durham and N.U.T. / Edinburgh.