SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 08-10-19, 05:04 PM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default what lies beneath

I decided to trace the power feed to my garage since it doesn't have a separate feed from the circuit breaker box. I had to lift some boards in the attic and found this:

The black wire runs to the garage across the top of the kitchen, the lump under the electrical tape appears to be a "chocolate block" connector. I am impressed that the house's original owner managed to get so many wires into one block.

The chocolate block sits above the near end of the kitchen, the far end of the kitchen being the end of the house which is where the wire exits to go to the garage. Since he was keen to bodge it, I wonder why he didn't cut the ring main closer to the garage.

Meanwhile the purpose of the solitary green and red wires remains a mystery.

Apparently the original owner was a pipe fitter and judging by the pipe work and miscellaneous valves (purposes unknown) in the central heating a very creative one. I suspect he had bought a bulk lot of chocolate blocks since I've found a few of them installed. I also suspect that he was not a qualified electrician
Old 08-10-19, 06:45 PM   #2
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: what lies beneath

I rather hope you don't have any gremlins getting in to your wiring as any qualified Sparks would have to rectify all of that highly dubious rats nest as part of any fix, however minor.