SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-03-17, 09:26 PM   #1
chris heron

Smile Servicing her myself

Hi Guys

Straight to the point, as above im servicing my pointy 05 plate myself which i use for a commute now and again but mostly for a little bit fun once in a while, but no track days, and would like some recommendations on the following.

-oil, 1 litre of
-Air filter,(any difference between a k and n and a normal one, and is the extra silly amount of money worth it)
-Oil filter (same question as air filter)
-spark plugs
-sump...do i really need one?
-Battery..are the expensive ones really worth it and how much should i pay?

Any recommendations greatly appreciated, and as you can maybe tell im on a little bit of a budget thinking that do i really need to pay for a name when it will deliver the same results as a not so bigger brand name, however if it does deliver better end product then i shall certainly invest that bit more!

fanx muchly in advance guys and gals
Old 17-03-17, 10:09 PM   #2
Grim-Lock

Default Re: Servicing her myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris heron View Post
Hi Guys

Straight to the point, as above im servicing my pointy 05 plate myself which i use for a commute now and again but mostly for a little bit fun once in a while, but no track days, and would like some recommendations on the following.

-oil, 1 litre of

-Air filter,(any difference between a k and n and a normal one, and is the extra silly amount of money worth it)

-Oil filter (same question as air filter)

-spark plugs

-sump...do i really need one?

-Battery..are the expensive ones really worth it and how much should i pay?

Any recommendations greatly appreciated, and as you can maybe tell im on a little bit of a budget thinking that do i really need to pay for a name when it will deliver the same results as a not so bigger brand name, however if it does deliver better end product then i shall certainly invest that bit more!

fanx muchly in advance guys and gals

Oil of the 10w-40 variety is recommended by the manual but any name brand should suffice (silkolene, castrol, rock oil etc)

A k&n air filter is more expensive because it is reusable as opposed to the paper OEM item, another brand maybe worth a try is simota as I believe the quality is slightly higher for a similar price.

Official Suzuki oil filters are generally the way to go and are often on offer.

Not sure about spark plugs I believe mine are iridium and seem fine?

Not sure what you mean by this one as the sump is a part of your engine I thought?

I can give zero input for batteries as mine is original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grim-Lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-17, 12:39 AM   #3
chris heron

thanks for advice Grim!

sump plug it seems corrodes,and,according to whatsittube,is a good thing to change to new every few oil dumps?

cheers again

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Old 18-03-17, 08:06 AM   #4
yokohama

Sump plug itself should be fine but a new washer at each all change is a good idea.
Check your sump plug; if it's fine, leave it. If it's corroded, get a new one and protect the head with ACF or a blob of grease if you are worried.
I use OEM air and oil filters. Not changed plugs yet and battery is a Yuasa but a search will show other members have different preferences.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-17, 08:11 AM   #5
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris heron View Post
sump plug it seems corrodes,and,according to whatsittube,is a good thing to change to new every few oil dumps?
You should be able to see corrosion visually from the outside, and you can even try loosening it in advance (a little) without losing oil before ordering a new one if you think you need it.

You're supposed to replace the crush washer each time, but not everyone does.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-17, 08:54 AM   #6
chris heron

outstanding stuff guys,much appreciated!

anybody else able to add anything to what has already been discussed?

Again, thanks!

Old 18-03-17, 09:58 AM   #7
aj76

I did mine a few weeks back ordered the oil, filter and plugs from Opie oils using the forum code for a discount. Went with motul 5100 10w 40 in the end, oem filter but for ease the extra quid or 2 for the hi Flo one with the nut welded to it will probably be purchased next time to make getting old one off easier. Also went with iridium plugs but that was a personal choice yet to ride enough to see if there is conclusive proof of improvement in fuel consumption or if it's placebo effect.

As said if the sump plug head looks ok get a new crush washer. Some will say you can reuse but the point of crush washers is single use.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
aj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-17, 10:10 AM   #8
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

The engines take 2300 cc(2.3 litres) of oil.I also bought a Motul oil kit including a Hi-Flo filter with the 17mm nut on it for ease of removal.

Tip:
I have a small plastic see-through kitchen jug that I have marked at the 500 ml/500 cc level.I know it takes four of these plus an extra 300 cc to fill my 1999 Curvy to it's correct level.

YMMV.

HTH

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 18-03-17 at 12:03 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-17, 12:13 PM   #9
chris heron

nice one riff mate,more top notch advice...Although not sure about the oil amount as a wifey on thingytube says you don't need anywhere near as much as you said like the tip tho either way never thought of that..anyway if it's good enough for you tho it's good enough for me..

All input much appreciated fellas and ladies!

Old 18-03-17, 12:15 PM   #10
chris heron

..addition to my last comment my machine is an 05 so obviously there may be a diffence in the amount our pride and joy's take...