SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-06-17, 12:22 PM   #1
chris heron

Default Review of my SV 2005

Hey guys just thought I'd do a quick review on my SV that may help people decide if an SV is right for them. The YouTube link is down below and stay tuned as I will be looking to do many more reviews on bike gear and SV upgrade s in future. If you have any comments or questions just fire away. Ps if this thread is in the wrong section, please advise on which section I should repost!

https://youtu.be/gp1hVouH9mE

Thanks guys

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-17, 01:15 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Review of my SV 2005

nice review.

yes the SV650 is a real world bike. spending some money on the suspension really does turn a mediocre bike into a good bike, the difference is huge. lets put the suspension upgrade into perspective. a second hand SV costs lets say £3k for a good one then spend another £1k on decent suspension turns a good bike into a great bike for £4k. spend another £500 on a comfort kit and it turns a great bike into a superb do'it'all bike all for £4.5k.

my only complaint about the SV is the seat, its for me really uncomfortable.

Last edited by Bibio; 02-06-17 at 03:04 PM.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-17, 02:40 PM   #3
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Good down to earth review, although as you point out the SV650 is down on power compared to IL4 600 as you say the power is much more usable and more suited to road conditions in the UK. I have an AL7 which has about 6 ponies more than yours, but peak torque a bit higher up rev range - I love it, a lot more civilised than a screaming 4.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-17, 04:33 PM   #4
chris heron

As I said in my review,it's by far the best bike I've ever had,good pillion provision,and as another plus,cheap insurance too!

It's a great commuter and can hold its own against any super sport 600 I reckon if it's in the right hands!

It's silly really because I wanted one as my first bike after passing direct access but I got dazzled by go faster sports bikes and went that way instead so I've come the long way around lol,just wish I had of stuck with my original plan it would have saved me a lot of money, and lots of stiff backs and sore bloody wrists that's for sure!

Old 02-06-17, 06:04 PM   #5
macamxthe1st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post

my only complaint about the SV is the seat, its for me really uncomfortable.
Oh how I empathise with that sentiment but hallelujah I have fixed it.Less than £20 for piece of sheepskin. Looks absolutely awful but I care not. Spent 6 hours riding both Tuesday and Wednesday with no discomfort whatsoever.

Geoff.
Old 02-06-17, 08:46 PM   #6
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Nice review.I bought my 1999 Naked Curvy(Might have mentioned) from M&S Motorcycles not far from you.

Noticed on your video your rider seat.I may be wrong but see near the end of this thread,

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...29#post3070429

It is possible,at least on my Curvy,to securely fit the seat incorrectly.On your video I can see an angle/gap from front to back along the seat line.When this appears on my Curvy the seat lugs have NOT gone correctly under the tie bars.

If I'm wrong,no problem but if I'm right the change in comfort is total.

HTH

PS
Even though yours has the drop grips have you sat on the bike with your gear on,slacked them off and then found your,"Sweet Spot"?

If I'm even half a millimeter out on my bars I know about it!

Just a bit of nostalgia for a Friday night

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

Love Brian as well

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 02-06-17 at 08:59 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-17, 09:54 PM   #7
chris heron

I didn't even realise however I'll be looking into that first thing in the morning.I may have lined it up wrong after a put a charge on my battery last time when replacing the seat!Sweet spot I find depends on how well you grip the tank with your thighs although may just be me.I

PS AC/DC? Must be a Plater
/Welder Geordie thing!! How did you know? LMAO OUTSTANDING!!!

Old 02-06-17, 10:26 PM   #8
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

In your next video could you do me a favour and ask "Are you going down the Grove the night?"
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-17, 10:26 AM   #9
chris heron

Hey rif you eagle eyed bugger!you were spot on my front seat was out!however it is an unbelievable ball ache to get it back in with the front bolts correctly aligned so I've elected to keep it as is..can't believe you spotted that!

Cheers!

Old 03-06-17, 10:49 AM   #10
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris heron View Post
Hey rif you eagle eyed bugger!you were spot on my front seat was out!however it is an unbelievable ball ache to get it back in with the front bolts correctly aligned so I've elected to keep it as is..can't believe you spotted that!

Cheers!

You should really try to get the seat correct.I know it's a Ball ache to get the bolts in but the more you get it right the easier it gets as the seat starts to mold to the proper positioning and then gets easier to fit.

When correct you can sit back a little more as the seat doesn't force the rider into the tank and arms into the bars lessening any fatigue.

As I've said I did 240 miles last Sunday up and over the North Yorkshire moors and no tingles,numb bum or fatigue so when set up correctly there's nothing wrong with these bikes for even long runs.

As I'm now only 12 stone I've found the suspension to be excellent for me so I have no need of swapping suspension parts.I suspect PO has used at least 10w fork oil and when I change it I'll go with 15w fork oil.I used to use 20w on my CX500s and it made all the difference in the World to the front suspension and handling.Even my old CX500s were like riding on rail-tracks around corners